I Forge Iron

I couldnt really think of anywhere else to put it

so, I was looking, but I couldnt find a thread on the rules of the Forum, but I wanted to ask, if I were to make a video of me making a project for youtube, such as my experience of learning to make Mokume Gane, and stuff like that would it be allowed for me to embed it into an applicable thread on this website, most specifically a thread I started for that purpose? 

@Glenn  I understand, I have a post on that asking some questions, but, what I was actually wondering about is if it would be OK for me to embed a youtube video into a thread, in whichever applicable topic it may be in, for instance, I plan on making a video on me making a decorative Damascus style Laminate wood knife with Mokume scale plates, given that I accomplish Mokume first, of course. I also plan on making some videos of me just learning to smith in general. would it be ok to embed them into threads? 

Hello Athen.

I am fascinated by your query...That you want to find out about how and where to publish a video of you learning to do something...even before you have made the video, learned how to do it, or even attempted it.

Who are you wanting to share this with? And why? 

Is your main interest video publicity or knife making, cinema verité, cataloguing your journey for posterity, sharing your personal journal....?

Alan

5 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Hello Athen.

I am fascinated by your query...That you want to find out about how and where to publish a video of you learning to do something...even before you have made the video, learned how to do it, or even attempted it.

Who are you wanting to share this with? And why? 

Is your main interest video publicity or knife making, cinema verité, cataloguing your journey for posterity, sharing your personal journal....?

Alan

In reading postings on this forum, I too am often intrigued by perceptions and motivations.

As is so often apparent, by some members "obsession" with grades and types of steel, and the provenance of its manufacture, ... "aesthetics" sometimes plays a significant role, in what is essentially a "pragmatic" practice.

I think, in a fundamental way, the lack of commercial viability in modern day blacksmithing, "frees" many hobbyists from the constraints normally associated with pragmatism and profitability.

Thus, we find practitioners with knowledge and skills commensurate with the manufacture of nails and wall hooks, ... asking questions that are only marginally applicable to journeyman toolmakers.

This is not intended as a criticism !

But merely as an observation, ... regarding the clear disassociation of "traditional" motivations and influences, ... as opposed to "modern day" conditions.

Today, in a "non-commercial" environment, it's not unreasonable for a neophyte to aspire to the same level of knowledge and understanding as a seasoned expert, even though he may lack the practical experience to properly utilize that knowledge.

As always, ... Information is power.

10 hours ago, Athen R Dailey said:

so, I was looking, but I couldnt find a thread on the rules of the Forum, but I wanted to ask, if I were to make a video of me making a project for youtube, such as my experience of learning to make Mokume Gane, and stuff like that would it be allowed for me to embed it into an applicable thread on this website, most specifically a thread I started for that purpose? 

Hi  Athen.

Glen said you can post content in the appropriate category. 

Since you can't find the rules though I feel obligated to tell you that Glen will then own the videos. If you copyright them first the you are just giving him permisson to use them free of charge for 75 years.

I personlly would like to see your videos at least for a minute. 

Information, informational material, and videos are welcome to be posted on the site. The site is about information. I do ask that you do not try to use the video as advertising for your business etc. If you have questions, contact me email or PM.

Arftist The Terms of Service are for the protection of both the members and the site. You agreed to the TOS when you signed up to the site, and I do not recall the statement you refer to in the TOS.

Well I generally want to spend my limited time watching videos of folks who *KNOW* what they are doing; I find I learn more that way than watching someone who doesn't.  I know this is an opinion held by a small number of people as shown by the large number of videos posted.  (I still remember one I checked out where the person said "I've never done this before; but this is how you do it..."  and proceeded to make a real hash of it; I hope nobody tried to duplicate his methods.)

Another good use is if he is just learning then based off experienced members seeing the videos they can give pointers on correcting technique and explaining what went wrong with any processes without having to grill him with questions to figure out what he did first. 

1 hour ago, Darious said:

Another good use is if he is just learning then based off experienced members seeing the videos they can give pointers on correcting technique and explaining what went wrong with any processes without having to grill him with questions to figure out what he did first. 

Good point...but in that case would it not be perhaps better to make an attempt without the hassle and distraction of filming it...who knows, maybe by focussing on just the actual process it will go right first time?

Still only conjecture. I look forward reading to Athen's take on it.

Alan

I do infact plan to get a little practice before I make a video,and I think it is worth it to say that I have been reading documentation and doing research and such for about a year now, before I have even attempted to make anything. but, the real reason is just to document me learning, and share it here, so that I can be told where I may be doing anything wrong, or what I may be doing right. I dont intent to tell anyone that this is how its done, but rather be quite transparent on the fact that I am learning and this is my journey. 

the reason for wanting to share my videos here isnt for publicity or advertising my business, yes the videos will be on my youtube channel, and yes they will be monetized there but, I think I have 7 subscribers and and only a couple of videos uploaded at this point, and I figured that since for some of my videos, I will be doing things applicable to this forum, and will most likely be doing most of my learning for it from here it would make the process a bit more streamlined for everyone if I were to share videos, that way people can see exactly what I am doing and what I may or may not be doing wrong. which I feel could be a valuable resource to anyone else who may be interested in learning, to actually see someone start from day one and see how they learned and possible hurdles they may stumble upon.

I also just figured I would add that, I do not have a business, and I am not learning to smith because I make videos, I decided I wanted to make videos of it because I want to learn to smith. as mentioned a moment ago, I have been studying and researching for about a year now, my videos are based on survival and DIY content, and learning to make stuff out of metal is a very valuable skill. I also feel it is important to mention that I work with steel all day in my normal work, mostly stock removal and deburring, but on occasions I also do some cold forming. i have a very basic level of knowledge at this point, but feel as though I am interested enough and know enough that I will be successful in learning how to make stuff

@Alan Evans I get what you are saying, and I know I will make a video of it regardless of whether or not I can share it here, I had planned to start my hands on with Mokume this weekend, but the weather is supposed to be really bad, and my workshop is outside. but I like to plan ahead get any permissions I may or may not need early on, and start gathering stuff early on, that way everything doesnt end up bein last minute thrown together type of things.

5 hours ago, Glenn said:

Information, informational material, and videos are welcome to be posted on the site. The site is about information. I do ask that you do not try to use the video as advertising for your business etc. If you have questions, contact me email or PM.

Arftist The Terms of Service are for the protection of both the members and the site. You agreed to the TOS when you signed up to the site, and I do not recall the statement you refer to in the TOS.

That's just how copyright works.

You said posters may post copyright material as long as they own the copyright so in effect, by agreeing to your TOS they are giving you permision to use said matetials. Since copyrights expire after 75 years, that would be the max duration of permission. After that it is free use. 

If I am under a misapprehension please feel free to correct me.