I Forge Iron

Lake Charles/Louisiana

Hello, I live in lake Charles Louisiana which is on the south western side of the state. I am interested in blacksmithing and just need advice on pretty much everything. I need an anvil, forge ect. Does anyone recommend any particular brand for a beginner such as myself. I plan on using a coal forge with a hand crank blower. Anyway, I'll check back later any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advace

Semper Fi

Eric

I would recommend making your own forge. A coal forge isn't to difficult to build, I wouldn't buy one, mainly because your not exactly sure of what you want. Once you make your own you will have a better understanding. By the way what are you interested in doing?

Littleblacksmith

I'm imtersted in making tools..like garden hoes, axes ,adze stuff like that. Really just learning about blacksmith ing and being proficient enough to make things I may need...I dunno kinda have one of those "callings" so to speak, feel the need to try it out and see where it takes me, I've always been fascinated by it and I ain't getting any younger.

7 hours ago, BigLes985 said:

Hi Borel,

I'm just starting out as well so no real advice but saw Lake Charles so figured I would say hi from the east side of the state.

Good Luck

Hey man, where you from? I see there is a guild in Covington...that alittle bit away from me...you heard of it?

29 minutes ago, Borel said:

I'm imtersted in making tools..like garden hoes, axes ,adze stuff like that. Really just learning about blacksmith ing and being proficient enough to make things I may need...I dunno kinda have one of those "callings" so to speak, feel the need to try it out and see where it takes me, I've always been fascinated by it and I ain't getting any younger.

Hey man, where you from? I see there is a guild in Covington...that alittle bit away from me...you heard of it?

There is one in Covington good 3-4 hours from you.  They meet the 4th Saturday of the month but unfortunately I work during the time they get together.  They have a website https://gulfcoastblacksmith.com.  I'm from Slidell but live in Hammond now.

Keep it simple. Fire, a heavy object to pound on, and a hammer will get you started.  

An anvil is nothing more than a chunk of steel, it does not have to look like a London pattern anvil that many think of as an anvil shape. Even mild steel will be harder than steel at forging temps. Locate a scrapyard and see if they sell to the public. A 200# chunk will run around $50. If you don't have a scrapyard nearby, find a heavy equipment repair shop, rental yard, or industrial facility that has big items. See if they have any bad forklift forks, bucket pins, heavy plates, etc that you can use for an anvil. 

Lots of ideas on the forums here for forge designs.

Get a hammer in the 1#-2# range for starting. 

If you use long enough stock you won't need tongs right away, just hold the stock. This is a better plan anyways when you are just getting started. IFI has starter projects, as well as ABANA.org.  Start of making round rod square, then back to round, then back to square. Then work on tapers, both round and square.  After that , drawing out. Exercises like these will teach you hammer control. You want to end up with a smooth part, not one that is all beat up. Is your square square, or is a diamond?  Is your round round, or oval?  Get the basics down first, then move ahead to bigger projects after you learn how the metal moves under your hammer.