I Forge Iron

1950's Sandmaster Belt Grinder any info???

I recently found this old belt grinder at an electrical surplus shop just sitting on the ground. I bought the thing and brought it home but cannot find any information on this thing. The guy told me at the store he thought it was a 2"x72" belt grinder but I measured the loop around all the wheels and only measured 60"-63" after you let out all the adjustment. Also the two wheels towards the back are both 1-3/4" wide wheels however the bottom wheel in the front where the platten connects is only 1-1/2" is that normal?? The only information on the cast aluminum frame states, "Sandmaster Products Los Angeles California." If anyone has any information on this thing or can answer my questions about the wheel sizes I'd really appreciate it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thank you I appreciate. It just would be nice to see one all put together like how it came from the manufacturer.  I have already encountered some problems where whoever wired the switch on it did not do it properly and in the first test run burned out a $45 3 phase switch.  So I'd like to see things like how the platten was mounted, and the rear adjustable wheel that loosens and tightens for switching belts you can tell has been moved back. There is 3 sets of tapped holes where you could mount that rear wheel. And I really am not sure where the right place is. Any ways I appreciate the info. Need to order a couple belts and see how she does.

• 4 weeks later...

It's sorta similar to a Burr King I recently acquired. I don't have a platen for it either, but one won't be hard to make. An upright with a 90 deg piece would likely do fine. The cast piece with the slot may swivel back. Take the belt guard off and see where it's connected to the body. It could be that piece is for the table and those two little holes in the wheel guard are where a platen with slotted holes went. Yours is likely just like mine. Note the little bracket with two bolts. That holes the platen behind the belt.

The rear wheel shouldn't be a big deal. It may adjust for different size belts. You can try relocating the assembly then measure with a string to see if there's a significant change. As long as it tracks good and the belt stays on I wouldn't sweat it. Once you get the belt on it you should be able to figure out how to put a platen on it. Whatever I make for mine, it will be removable for slack sanding.

image.jpeg

That thing is awesome looking. What size belt does yours run on it?? Do you know what year your machine is from??

I got mine all up and going. Had to get a new 4 pole switch that cost me $40 but other than that it's been a great little grinder. I got a rear platen built that sits right behind the belt and put a bottom rest for setting your material. It squares up nice and grinds a real clean 90 degree angle.

I haven't done anything with it as of yet. I think it may run a 2 X 60 belt, but I have to measure it. Dunno on the year either. I need to call Burr King about some stuff regarding it and I'll see if I can get a DOM on it when I do. A friend had it and it has been sitting out on his property for quite awhile. He buys and sells machinery too, but on a much bigger scale than me. I have another larger belt grinder I bought awhile back that I'm probably gonna get running first, since it needs less work than the Burr King does. The motor on the BK is an after the fact job and I can't seem to find any wiring schematics on or inside it as of yet and I'm pretty sure it was running on 460 when it was last operating. I'm sort of on the fence if I'm just gonna deal it to someone for what I got in it, I already have two working belt machines as of now and the Ryman I just bought is pretty good sized. I'm real limited on space, so something will have to go or at the very least get moved.

If you have some current pics of yours, I would love to see them!

Heres that Ryman I bought awhile back. I got it from HGR in Cleveland OH for $180. It runs strong and needs nothing more than a facelift and a reconfiguration to put it on a pedestal stand. The motor is three phase and will run off my rotary for the time being and eventually get a VFD for speed control when funds allow for it. Another reason I like it is because it has a secondary shaft to drive a flap wheel, or whatever else you wanna put on it.

Glad you got yours going. Please post pics! :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 4 years later...