I Forge Iron

Game 2, the "Iron Fjord"

Frosty

Need to fashion a "fitting" to replace the "splint" inside Aaron's hand that will allow him to use it on the crutch. Have a few ideas, but have to experiment a bit before putting him threw the stress of re splinting his fingers. 

Taking a moment to see that Aaron is not in distress, then.

"Bruno, as Aaron is out of it for now, what you say you show me our new camp site? Ben can take a breather wile Brandon is setting snares."

"you and I can get a start on a new camp before we try and move Aaron, I'm thinking we have a good start for a lodge or teepee if you will. Given the tarps and tube tents plush brush, bows and litter for the outside and space blankets for the smoke liner we should be  golden"

the foundation is 3 long poles laser together with a length of fir root, then a longer length to lash the other poles layed on the tripod. The first 3 need to be wrist thick, but one of the servival knives and a club will cut them, the others don't need to be as thick. A bit of fir root folded in half stuck threw the grommets on the tarps with a stick stuck in the loop will be better than a knot. Fir root, even after you work it a bit to make it pliable dosn't hold knots well but works Good with hitches to hold it to the poles, more poles over the top to keep the wind from lofting the tarps finishes that layer. Once that's up a proper hearth for the fire is in order (again a small "Indian fire"). After that we can move camp. Two poles and one of the good space blankets folded in thirds around it, with Aaron laying on the two outer flaps will make a workable litter (if he will hear of such nonsense). 

The smoke liner, beds and such can be accomplished after the fact, but Aaron and Brandon are right, to help Aaron heal and to keep the rest of us at peak performance we need fat and protien, traps are a lot more effecent than hunting.  

Before the foundation poles go up, tying ribbons from a cheep space blanket and the marker tape to them, again movement and flash.  

That should kill the rest of my day

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruno has pretty detailed maps of the coastline for 2 miles up the fjord and a little more than 1 towards the sound proper. He only went a little ways around the point, far enough to determine it is a point and the mountains on that side are big slabs running from jagged peaks straight into the sea where they're eroded into moderate cliffs he estimates to be from 20'-50' high. The mountain sides have benches he estimates to be every 30- 100' above sea level looking like steps.

Up the fjord he's identified a typical topography of benches and near vertical rises to the next bench then steepening to rough mountain sides. He only made 2 forays uphill before he determined his time was best spent exploring up the shore line and drawing maps to locate useful materials. He didn't locate any good materials unless the boat wreck is accessible. He also watched and timed the tides and has it noted on page 2 of his water proof journal.

Lastly he marked the better routes he found leading inland with surveyor's tape but didn't use much seeing as the lay of the land makes getting lost almost impossible. From virtually any place he explored just walk down hill and you'll come to the fjord, turn towards camp and you're home free. Orientation is very easy now he's had a chance to look around. The far side of the fjord only looks to be a few miles away and the mountains are really tall, the snow line is half way to the shore.

Aaron asks him why he went exploring alone, Maybe getting lost isn't easy but there are dangerous animals and a fall is always possible. Aaron is frankly angry at Bruno for taking such an unnecessary risk.

Bruno says, "Ben isn't getting over the shock of being wrecked very well. He can be of some help in or around camp but Bruno wanted to watch what he was doing rather than having to spend most of his time keeping Ben safe." Bruno is looking uncomfortable and Ben is looking ashamed."

"Don't worry Ben it was a hell of a shock," Aaron says, "you're doing fine look at me. Everybody is having trouble adjusting. Stick with us in camp, Clinton I can use the help, we have work to do."

"What do we need to do?" Bruno asks.

"We need to get farther from the point, let the mountains break the weather and find a better place to camp. We're over due now, every tour boat, fishing boat and the coast guard will be searching. We need to be as visible as possible but we aren't likely to see aircraft in a narrow fjord. It's too easy to fly into a canyon too narrow to turn around and too high to climb out of. Mountain sides in Alaska are dotted with perfectly good planes that were flown into them." Aaron takes a deep breath looking tired.

Bruno says, "There are meadows just inland from the shore and up to the next bluff I think the trees will make a good wind break. It's windy here because we're just off the shore line."

Aaron rouses enough to agree and tell Brandon setting snares is a good idea, "Do you know how to set a trap line?" Aaron appears to be drifting to sleep but mutters one last thing, "Wish we could've saved a rifle, some venison would be good, getting tired of berries." He drifts into mumbles and incoherence.

Just about the time Clinton and Bruno start to walk out Aaron rouses and says, "Take a wire saw, all the packs have one even the med packs. A rolled wire with ring on each end in a little plastic pouch. It's not a chain saw but it'll cut decent sized wood." He looks around and pats the ground, "How about somebody call for a pizza and maybe make a beer run. You fly I'll buy I'm getting hungry."

Frostig Den Arbitus

(Sorry, I forgot to send this earlier but I only needed to adjust slightly you guys are on track)

Think we will take a pair, won't take much to rig up a frame saw on site. 

Were  there any egg sized roundish-oblong rocks either on the beach or stream cut? Now that Clinton is on the move he starts thinking of sling stones. (Jack tought me to use one, he told me he learned from an old apache gentlemen when he was a kid and as Clinten is based on ol'Jack...) 

"Ill go with you guys" Brandon Says to Clinten. "That way I can set the line closer to the base camp and in a more sheltered area. they are more likely to have game trails."

As they are walking Brandon sharpens a series of 8 ish inch stakes from smaller branches to use in leg lock traps. Those would possible be able to get some larger game for them. once in the area Brandon looks for game trails and once finding the best spot possible starts to set op his trap line" He alternates setting the snares up between tension, Basic, Lifting, and whip snares to maximize the potential to catch game. HE also sets deadfalls and Leg Locks. He is baiting the traps with what berries he can find.

This will take most of the rest of his day

Ben feels kinda useless for not doing as much as he could. However, one of the things he does know is how to set snares. But, perhaps before we go all gung ho on setting snares we should find a better place to camp. Ill go with someone who has already explored so we can try and find the best spot to set up a new camp. 

Bruno is back (thanks Frostig)

So it seems Clint and Bruno (and who-ever else)set off to a new site he had spotted in his scouting.During the walk Bruno and Clint discuss the situation with Aaron,screwy compasses,and the possibility of finding some good wreckage.Bruno having been without cigarettes for what feels like forever(part of the reason he did so much walking)feels bad about what was said at camp between Ben,Aaron and himself.Clint assures him everyone will understand being high-strung...Brunos' mind begins to wander as they trek along almost like he's on auto-pilot at this point,he hasn't looked at his compass since he saw it take an incorrect reading.

"Is it wise to leave Aaron alone? I'm not so worried about his health at this point, if we can get threw the next couple of days with out infection he should be ok their. But not being particularly mobile, makes him vulnerable to critters."   

"Any volunteers? I really would like to stretch my legs and help set up the shell of a shelter before we move him" 

The group followed Bruno down to the shoreline, recovered Pete's body and buried him in a well marked stone cairn on top of the cliff. While getting his body out of the rocks you discover a line tied to his wrist that leads to a cooler containing a couple 2lb. of packages of cheddar cheese and several summer sausages all in sealed packages. The cooler was filled with water and the box of crackers is ruined. It looks like Pete threw what was at hand in the cooler when abandoning the Dahlai B and was using it as a float but has an open skull fracture and drowned. Fortunately he'd tied the cooler to his wrist with para cord.

There quite a few meadows to chose from. However there are 3 fairly close to the wrecked fishing boat. One is within 150' of the cliff edge fairly flat and smooth, the slope uphill isn't too steep. Another is farther from the edge and up Fjord a little ways, it's smooth and flat but a little steeper it surrounded by larger trees and denser stands of willow and alder with a couple stands of Mtn. Hemlock. A third one is almost at the foot of the next bluff inland. It's not as level of smooth and there are some big boulders and a few detached blocks the size of semi trailers and one the size of a 1 car garage.

All the ground you've explored slopes up from the water in varying degrees but the ground cover is a couple hundred years old so it's not like walking in a boulder field. Still it's not Kansas.

The weather has some clear spells and you get a good look at the Fjord while surveying the boat wreck from the cliff top. The Fjord is relatively narrow you estimate maybe 5 miles wide at the mouth and around 3 wide where you stand it is longer than you can see as it appears to either turn away from your side or pinches off maybe 25 miles to your right. The other side is steep slab sided mountains mostly tipped away from the Fjord and snow covered better than half way down. It too appears to have fairly level benches at intervals up from the current shore line.

Brandon is scouting to determine good places to set snares and look for animal sign. He's carrying a couple packets of peanut butter for bait, he's still slapping himself on the head for not thinking of it himself.

(Stress is effecting everybody and everybody has good ideas and skills if they discuss them amongst themselves.)

Max scores on his experience points thinking of the peanut butter for bait. It's gold star thinking.

As soon as you decide on a location for camp Clinton can get started selecting and prepping to build the new digs.

When Ben shows up at the new camp site Clinton asks in surprise,

"Is it wise to leave Aaron alone? I'm not so worried about his health at this point, if we can get threw the next couple of days with out infection he should be ok their. But not being particularly mobile, makes him vulnerable to critters.  We thought you stayed at the last camp with him?"

Frostig Den Arbitus.

(Be sure you read everybody's posts and keep up with what's happening. As GM it's my job to make things interesting based on what you do or don't do.)

"Well nothing for it, Ben. I need 8 more of these tall poles" help me set up the tripod, then I want two placed between each one leg maw long this line" (drawing a slight oblong so it slants tord the east a bit and the opening will be east between two secondary poles) after that I need about a dozen so long to hold down the cover. Bruno, can I get you to stop peeping snares long enugh to go get Aaron with me? With Ben peeping the poles it won't take him and I but a bit to skin the tent when we get back". 

If Ben and Bruno are amytal to my plan, we can go get Aaron, re spint his fingers ( the ring and pinky naturally form a spint, the index and middle not so much, but a pencil  thick willow branch, bent in a curve and secured over and between each set of fingers will cure that, and provide immobilization for the first joint when secured to the back of his hand with a bit of padding under it and surgical tape around his palm and back of hand) it's crude but it will allow him to work the crutches (if he is up to it, but I think the threat of being brought in on a streacher will bring out the stubborn in him). That will free up Bruno and I to hump the rest of the gear (including the steel plate, after making sure the fire is dead out).  

Once back at camp I can use some of that "mountain goose" (mountain hemlock) to make him a nice bed (with the saws a crude frame to hold the hemlock will be easy) inside the shelter permitter and Ben and I can start skinning it, this will let Bruno go help Brandon set snares, dead falls and such). Once the a skin is on and the smaller poles up to hold it down a proper hearth can be built, the floor litter scraped back and the parimiter trenced. Final steps will be to erect the smoke liner from the cheap space blankets and make a few more beds. 

That will keep me busy till dark, with just enugh time for fire wood (with Ben's help). Tomorrow I will go back to being camp mother, lol. 

Maybe tomarrow I will start on a camp fence, lol  

Max gives Clinton a hand, paying attention to the knowledge he has on the situation. this is an aweful situation and max has never been in this kind. sure, survival with a back door but not this. he thinks on what he does know and isnt ashamed so say what he dosnt. right now Max thinks it's best just to take the advice given and be a worker.if he has a better idea, sure, he will mention it but isn't trying to lead.

"Sorry Max, the stress of the situation is getting to all of us. I compleatly forgot about you." lol " this works, we can leave Bruno and Brandon to set up the trap lines and Ben can build the new hooch."

"Ben, sorry about being bossy, but we need you buddy. The Sammie and planes Indians used this basic plan because it's dang near storm  proof and we can keep a small fire in it." 

With Ben and Max helping I will not feel rushed

Sorry guys my computer is busted right now and mobile is really glitchy for me. I wont be able to post for a day or two. Ben helps out wherever he is needed, staying with Aaron, doing menial task at camp, etc for the next few days.

Bruno,upon seeing Ben entering the new camp has an overwhelming sense of dread...Instant Panic.At least at the old camp Aaron was being tended to.The first thought that crosses his mind is to ask Clint to join him to trek back with some of the sausages to retrieve him...but knows by now many things could have happened.After a few moments of deep thought he decides he just doesnt feel right about how the situation,grabbing two sticks he begins beating them together"I need EVERYONES' attention now!" slowly the group gathers round knowing what is likely to be said,and frankly shocked because Bruno is so quiet and soft-spoken."Listen we need to make plan yes?"he asks the group."We have one man who has some medical skills,others with trapping skills,and others who are simply rugged individuals...But we have a man with a busted leg who has been left behind"Everyone has the same look on their faces...Bruno included."Either we get on same page right now,or I am going back for him myself..." Bruno knows this is NOT a good idea but hopes it will awaken the group at the least...

I'm up for going to get Aaron with you. I also realize that we need to double check that we have good enough signal to bee seen that we are stranded here to be seen from sea or air. 

I've also made some throwing sticks if we happen upon some birds or small game. Worth a shot. 

Lets work together to get everything and everybody moved and the new camp setup. This ain't no picnick. We meet to be found if we can. 

You guys finally recognize Ben is shaken worse than you thought. All the survivors are badly rattled to have missed Ben's condition this far, he might need help more that Aaron does.

You're only a few hours into the day. Brandon is still out scouting and setting traps. Nobody thought to ask when he'd be back and he didn't think to set a time or say which direction he'd work.

None of you know where he is and the forest is dense enough you can't hear a man shout much more than 100' away if the wind isn't blowing. There's almost always a good breeze. You guys are out of touch with Brandon till he gets back.

Frostig Den Arbitus.

" well $&!?, Bruno is right!, we have to many lead, fallow or get the heck out of my way kind of folks here. Guess it's time to have a camp meeting when Brandon and Bruno get back"

after Max and I get the gear and Aaron to the new camp, I'll see about helping Ben and Max get the shelter finished, not forgetting the streamers from the poles. Wile working Clinton finds a moment to ask Ben a favor. 

"Ben I need your help, Aaron is starting to have is level of conciseness issues. Now I don't know how much is his wounds, and how much is depression. He could just be sleeping as much as he can to heal, in which case it's all good, and we just need to make sure he gets enugh fat and protien, but he is an active guy, and used to being the one to keep the newb's alive and now he is dependent on us. I can tend his wounds, and keep the camp squared away, but I can't give him a purpose. That's what I need from you, I need you to ask him to help you out. Make him feel like he has a job to do, getting you up to speed. I know your a smart guy and you can figure out what to do on your own, but he needs help, and he knows I would be b.s.'n him if I started asking him for ideas. Can you do that for me?" Two birds with one stone..

Now, when We get the shelter, beds and hearth squared away I need to assess Aaron, little stupid stuff like making sure he has been using the restroom (sucks to have to take him to the loo, but we do what we need to) dose he have sighns of internal bleading? Lumps and pain in the abdomen, black tarry stools (yeah that sucks to) eyes equal and reactive to light? Not a heck of a lot I can do but worry if he is banged up. Making note to keep a couple of the packs with him, one of drinking water and an empty if some one can't help him get up and go pee (one of the tea pots is probably better infact I think we have one extra) . I will be checking his water intake (stupid Clinton, stupid Clinton!). 

Assuming he is ok, then I will start making some "camp furniture" no not lawn chairs, lol. That will have to wait. But we need a restroom, water collection, cookin "irons"  )tho wooden) etc. just something to keep Clintons hands busy. I know a "bull boat" and drip lines for the lodge are going to be nessisary...

Waiting for Brandon and Bruno to get back from running traps. 

A gust of wind blows a small limb out of a Tamarack tree onto Clinton's head for trying to confuse the GM. Bruno is in camp talking to you last time I read the current action posts. So take THAT Clinton! Good thing Tamarack has such soft needles if it were a black spruce you'd be picking needles out of your hide and if it were a Douglas Fir limb it would've hit at terminal velocity earning the name Widow Maker.

Get coordinated guys or night will fall while you're still talking. If you recall correctly you think you're about an hour steady walking one way from the old camp, through the forest. It's early afternoon now, sunset about 1830 dark 2000.

Have you guys decided which meadow to set up camp in? You can go hunting for another and I'll roll the results. Your call but you can NOT set up a camp till I know where it's going.

Frostig Den Arbitus.

Judging by the post about the Hemlock I believe we are at this location ( "Another is farther from the edge and up Fjord a little ways, it's smooth and flat but a little steeper it surrounded by larger trees and denser stands of willow and alder with a couple stands of Mtn. Hemlock")

After a day of setting traps and snares Brandon makes his way back towards the camp that Clinten said he was going to be setting up. He keeps his eyes out for straight branches that can be used for arrows and some decent wood to make a bow. Though he is expecting to have to wait until he has some kind of tools to make it.