I Forge Iron

Types of horse shoes and construction

When moving a farm recently I found a few boxes of caulks both round and treaded sharp & blunt.  As A young person we used them on our horses that we logged and sugared with, worked good on ice and packed snow but tore up the stall floors, we pulled them as soon as we could in the spring.  We also  made real sure not to get stepped on by them in the barn.  We liked the treaded ones as we could take them out if they weren't going to be used for a time. Usually had a hard time getting them back in with the treads full of "stuff".

I found another piece to the puzzle today while cleaning up. I dug out this old horseshoe welded mailbox holder that I picked up in a scrap pile at an auction. Sure enough I spot 2 horse shoes on it that have the holes. And a couple of the holes had "bits" in them. The holes are not threaded and the "bits" are friction fit and only went into the hole 3/8". 

I just find this interesting because I never knew about it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

"Uncle Paul" had a gun and fishing tackle store where he also did gunsmithing. People were always fiddling with items on the counter, and a few "experts" would come in from time to time. He took a 50BMG case, slid a large magnum into it, them slid a .22-250? rifle case into the magnum. He then soldered it all together, and polished it so you could not see the joints. What he ended up with was a triple necked 50 case topped off with a 55 grain .22 bullet that he would just leave on the counter. The experts would tell their compares that when that cartridge came out it was the best of its day. Paul, would sit back and watch the show :)

Just had to throw this in (great roller skate by the way). 

There was an actual wildcat cartridge with a .378 Weatherby necked down to .22.  I love the name - 

.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer 

It was invented in the 1960s by P.O. Ackley to set a world record for firing bullets at over 5000 fps. It failed to reach the desired velocity, but got to 4600 fps with a 50 grain bullet and 105 grains of H570 powder. 

The screwmachine shop I worked at had done some .17 cal solids out of copper for customers. They told me that they would send a slug for the customer to run through the bore, then the bullets were customs made for it. One guy reported back that he was getting around 6,000 fps.

Paul worked on  program in the Air Force that utilized a 20mm necked down to .60 cal.

Made Island Naval Ship Yard had a 16" naval gun that they shot plastic pellets out of that were around 1/2" diameter IIRC, and they were punching steel plate with them. Modern rail guns have pretty much pushed solid propellants to the wayside for velocity projects.