I Forge Iron

Mules, Jennys, Jennets, Hennys, Jacks, Mollies,, etc

I suspect this is going to need a family tree before it is all over. (grin)

Please define and list the origin and explain the differences between a horse, stallion, jack, mule jennet, henny, jule, molly, and others that I may have missed? What are their characteristics and why were they breed and continue to be breed? For instance does one pull better, or have a better temperament than another or the parents, etc ?

From what I understand (which could be horribly wrong) a mule is a cross between a donkey and a horse and a Jenny is a female donkey or a woman that doesn't like going by Jennifer. Then only type of henny I know is the ones I have in my yard laying eggs lol.

i do look forward to more educated responses though as I've always been confused.

Horse and stallion are the same thing, stallion being the Spanish word for a intact male while horse is the proper term in English. Wile mare is the term for a female. 

A jack is a male ass, (donkey to you across the pond) while a Jenny (jennet) is a female.

A John is a male mule while a female is a Molly. 

Mules are a hybrid of a jack and a mare, wile a hinney is a hybrid of a horse and a Jenny.

Mules generally have a better disposition as they were raised by a horse and will fallow horses in a  Pack string.

Jennet is also a breed of Spanish horse.