I Forge Iron

Made a touchmark and drift

Newbie aspiring tool maker here.  I made this touchmark and drift as a start, both from O1 drill rod.  The touchmark logo was electrolysis etched, then I carved away the excess and refined the shape a bit with burrs on a flex shaft grinder.  I forged most of the drift's shape... there are a few wayward hammer blows I couldn't fully grind out, but overall it's pretty smooth.  I hardened both in the forge at 1450-1500 F (hard to control with just the regulator), soaking for about 10 minutes then quenching in slightly preheated canola oil.  Tempered at about 460 deg F for 2 hours in my kitchen oven.  I might temper the drift softer, as it'll see higher temps in use.  I'll also soften the striking ends tomorrow.  I love making tools to make more tools.  

DSC_1630.JPG

Nice touchmark Bobasaurus. I love fossil hunting in the Sundance sea formations. Shouldn't a carnosaur jaw hinge at the back of the jaw?

Naw, don't change a thing because I make an amateur paeleophile comment. I love it and am really looking forward to seeing the mark it makes.

Frosty The Lucky.

No idea, I kind of based it off a t rex skull picture I had.  The upper jaw did get a little clipped in the etch, though.  I tried using it today but I think the piece wasn't hot enough... barely left a dent.  I'll try again another day.  Might need to make an outline instead of depressing the entire skull shape.  

Is it a Rex? It looks kind of like an Alosaurus to me, shorter muzzle and deep a Rex looked a little longer and more square. I'd have to crack a book to be sure though.

Your touchmark punch has a lot of flat surface so the piece will need to be darned hot and you'll need a heavy hammer. It's better to use a heavy hammer and a dead blow than try and hit it HARD.

I've given thought to incorporating a raptor toe claw in a touchmark but can't figure out how, a snowman doesn't have toes. :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.