I Forge Iron

a day of forging tools

So, today I spent my day forging some tools. The first picture is of everything. The second picture is of a rivet header/tenoning tool. The third picture is of the drifts I used to enlarge the holes and a few rivets that I made. The fourth picture is of a slot punch that I made from 3/4 inch coil spring. The fifth picture is of the edge geometry. I ground it about 90 degrees--please correct if this is not the proper angle. The sixth picture is of a slot drift made from 1/2 inch coil spring. The seventh picture is just of the taper of the drift. The eighth picture is of a drift made from 3/4 inch coil spring. The ninth picture is of a smaller drift. The tenth picture is of a hammer eye/top tool drift made from 1 1/4 axle (4140). The eleventh picture is of the taper of the drift. The twelfth picture is of a round punch made from 1/2 inch coil spring. Please correct me if my terminology (or anything else) is incorrect.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_4503[1].JPG

IMG_4491[1].JPG

IMG_4492[1].JPG

IMG_4493[1].JPG

IMG_4494[1].JPG

IMG_4495[1].JPG

IMG_4496[1].JPG

IMG_4497[1].JPG

IMG_4498[1].JPG

IMG_4499[1].JPG

IMG_4500[1].JPG

IMG_4501[1].JPG

I used the slot punch this last weekend on a bottle opener. I think that I punched to far with it, because when I back punched I ended up cutting my plug in half, spending about 5 minutes trying to take out the pieces, and ending up with a "raggy" hole. Oh well, we live and we learn.

Littleblacksmith

18 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I used the slot punch this last weekend on a bottle opener. I think that I punched to far with it, because when I back punched I ended up cutting my plug in half, spending about 5 minutes trying to take out the pieces, and ending up with a "raggy" hole. Oh well, we live and we learn.

Littleblacksmith

Timing is important of course. When you turn the piece over you see the dark chilled bit that was trapped between punch and anvil. You must get the punch in place and (in this instance) strike while the iron is cold! It will shear cleanly. It will even shear clean if you are slightly off...line of least resistance and all that.

On larger scale punching when the bars were too heavy to handle and flip quickly, the slug section reheated itself from the surrounding thermal mass. I found that a splash of water across the surface chilled the slug section and not the rest of the bar and it would then shear cleanly.

If the slug gets back up to forging temperature...that is what it will do...forge and deform rather than shear.

Same process can be used when hot cutting. Cut most of the way through and dunk the workpiece in the water long enough to just chill the isthmus and it will break rather than bend.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Alan covered what I forgot to add in. That is the slug being chilled to shear rather then hot which pulls the metal in from the sides. On bigger pieces such as my hammers I keep the punch tip chilled repeatedly as needed. (Note my punches and such are usually 4140 or similar) I did some S-7 ones once upon a time and made divots in my hammer faces, grrrrrrrrrr.