Mikey98118

Burners 101

Sweet spots

Its "sweet spot" is the position where an adjustable part in or on a burner gives maximum performance. A slide-over flame retention nozzle has an adjustable amount of overhang past the end of the burner's mixing tube; too short and the flame gets unstable and is snuffed out; too long and the flame becomes weak. In between the extremes is a balance point; your nozzle's sweet spot.

Every gas assembly ends in a side hole, MIG contact tip, or capillary tube; the amount of air inducted into the burner depends on how close the gas jet coming out of the gas assembly is to the entrance of the burner's mixing tube; too far away and air induction is weak; too close and the air/gas mixing is poor. The right distance is this part's sweet spot.

Every factor in a burner needs to be balanced, but we only use the term "sweet spot" about the these examples, because, like a tennis racket, their sweet spots are easily seen, and involve exact positioning.

8 hours ago, GrumpyBiker said:

If it was yours how would you go about getting the most out of this setup?

I would try pulling the MIG tip further away from the mixing tube entrance on the modified side-arm burner.

Re-read Frosty's "T" burner directions, which are posted on this forum; they include the proper steps to tune his burners.

Thank you for putting it in layman’s terms for me.

Went back and re-read the section you suggested.

Played with the nozzle “overhang(?)” and backed off the mig tip and ditched the 6” tube for an 8”. (When the new nozzle arrives I’ll add that as well)

Its running quite well now.

I have one more question that I’ve racked my brain over, I’ll go post it in the forge section if you feel it’s an issue with the forge.

Why would the temperature & flame be reduced when I block off the back of my forge? The dragons breath has blue tips when blocked off (nothing like in the previous pics) and yet it goes back to running hot & orange if I open it up.

I don’t get that. Is it because of a lack of oxygen?

FB89E396-0BA7-408E-891C-9D15AD52C2BE.jpeg

27B61BA9-931F-4F33-A0B3-13AD8FA1CD45.jpeg

08E7CCE2-DD0A-464D-B843-108D1039B21F.jpeg

74C7D0E2-BA14-4881-A4AE-B81D343F4B30.jpeg

3 hours ago, GrumpyBiker said:

Why would the temperature & flame be reduced when I block off the back of my forge? The dragons breath has blue tips when blocked off (nothing like in the previous pics) and yet it goes back to running hot & orange if I open it up.

I don’t get that. Is it because of a lack of oxygen?

No; lack of pressure, or to put it another way: too much back pressure for a naturally aspirated burner. However, the solution isn't to leave the exhaust opening wide open. Instead look into using a baffle wall in front of the opening, but a little way forward of it. Your forge has a convenient ledge to stack bricks on, so that you can leave a small opening to move stock in and out of, while exhaust can freely vent upward between the brick and forge shell, and for radiant energy to bounce back into the forge from; a win, win, win situation.

As to which thread these answer belong in...alas, life is not perfect :)