I Forge Iron

Burners 101

Mikey98118

I am frequently confined in to the roll of critic. It is a lot more fun to encourage. Looking at that very hot forge, I'd say tinker all you like :)

I recommend that you start tinkering with a heat reflecting coating. Not that you need to increase interior temperatures any more, but in order to save wear on the insulation. Every erg that is reflected isn't heating it up; the lower its temperature stays the longer it lasts.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, rboughton3rd said:

With Frosty's insulation recommendations each wall is now at 2"of blanket and ½" of kastolite, so 5" total off length and 5" off the diameter would leave me with 9"x9", which should come out to 572.56cu in. I was using the formula for volume of a normal cylinder, not sure if there is another out there for use with forges. I know there are tried and true methods in almost everything we do, was just not sure if there was one that i was ignorant of in this case.

As for confusing gas jets and liquid jets it was my attempt at tinkering, using my basic understanding of fluid dynamics, I know in some cases fluids and gases act the same way based on physics, but that may be me getting into the realm of "engineers" and physicists, I probably need a better understanding of the principals at work here before i start to tinker.

That's the volume I get as well though I use a different formula for area of a circle: (.7854 * Dsq.) I almost never calculate volume for guys here, I want them to at least be able to do it themselves. It's disheartening how many kids today can't even figure the area of a square let alone the volume of a cylinder. I've had kids in my shop who've never held a hammer and are really disappointed to discover there's nothing but work involved in learning the craft. 

Anyway, your forge would be pushing it for a single 3/4" or a pair of 1/2" T burners, three 1/2" Ts would do nicely. But those are the trusty old pickup truck good enough T burners.

However, apparently you have the shop skills and experience to tackle harder to build and more precision demanding devices so I recommend you tackle Mike's Burners. They're just plain higher performance provided a person can do the work.

Frosty The Lucky.

I should have the experience and skills but I am lacking in equipment, not access to a proper machine shop at the moment.  Once my copy of Mikey's book gets here I will have to take a better look at the build process to see if I can pull it off.

And you are right about people and math skills, I have had to take tests to work in machine shops before and I watched an "Engineer" barely pass while myself and a few others got every question right, he has a masters degree that requires 6 years of school beyond high school, I have my GED... A piece of paper means nothing.

4 hours ago, rboughton3rd said:

And you are right about people and math skills, I have had to take tests to work in machine shops before and I watched an "Engineer" barely pass while myself and a few others got every question right, he has a masters degree that requires 6 years of school beyond high school, I have my GED... A piece of paper means nothing.

Yup, experience isn't what happens to a person, it's what a person DOES with what happens to them.

25 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

"Once my copy of Mikey's book gets here I will have to take a better look at the build process to see if I can pull it off."

Please tell me you didn't buy a $$$ copy from one of those scalpers!

centaur forge has them for $20, I think its is a little over priced on amazon at $153, but its they are moving at that price your publisher may want to put it back in print.

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

A machine shop:o? This is a home build forge burner not a cruise missile!

Frosty The Lucky.

I said I would have to take a better look at the process, with the limited tools I have at the moment I don't know what I can afford to do.  As it is I had to go buy an angle grinder just to get the water heater apart and the sides cleaned off from all the spray foam they use it insulate them with.

A drill press, taps and dies and a Rotozip, basic measuring & marking tools. A Dremel works but Rotozip has much better cutters available. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

Well, maybe it would qualify as a crude missile? Sorry, I just couldn't resist:)

If a person were to use a fluid jet and hook it to a pressure washer fed by the septic truck it could be a crud missile. :unsure:

What's this resist thing, you're not talking about keeping echants off are you?

Frosty The Lucky.

4 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

If someone manages to one-down that, we are all going to be in deep something or other...:P

Kimchi's good, I like the mild stuff.

Oh wait, isn't the Kimchi IKY II the N. Korean crude missile?

I can't believe I made that mistake, BOY I'm feeling flushed now! :wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

well some of that i have, i know i need a tap and die set and the drill press it a bit beyond my price range at the moment, but I might be able to improvise my way around that.

Also liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen are way out of my price range so no missiles for me.

12 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

"Once my copy of Mikey's book gets here I will have to take a better look at the build process to see if I can pull it off."

Please tell me you didn't buy a $$$ copy from one of those scalpers!

It took me some time, but I found a reliable link to your book online! I can't believe the price some people are selling your book for....used! That being said, if anyone wants the link just PM me and I'll give it to you.

In 2006 I counted over 120 different sites offering downloads of the book on line, before giving up counting. Exactly one site wasn't trying to sell some 'service' or other along with it; Is that the one? In any case, please go ahead and post the URL. I have contacted the current publisher, and it will be months before the next printing.

I do all my drilling with a cheap little Harbor Freight tabletop drill press; Most of the holes are small enough for it to be slow enough, and hole saws take care of the very occasional larger hole. Harbor Freight also offers a good low cost rotary tool, which I now advise people to use instead of an angle grinder.

Twenty some years back, I started replacing stolen tools with this brand, because two-bit thieves can't get anything for them at a pawn shop; therefore they are much easier to keep from disappearing off a construction site. For people who can keep their tools at home, it makes little sense to pay premium prices for tools that are only occasionally employed. Also, most supposedly US made tools are really imports. If we are going to end up with imported tools, why pay domestic prices? I would much rather look the truth in its face, than pay the ignorance tax on comfortable fables.

12 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Thanks ede, I didn't know that. Wasn't trying to claim it, just live by it.

Excellent, I'm fond of Huxley so just giving credit where it's due. 

How about this one, "art isn't what happens to a blacksmith, it's what a blacksmith does with hot metal."  ;)

~by yours truly. 

Carry on Mikey! 

2 hours ago, rboughton3rd said:

Thanks for the link, but I ordered the book anyway. We gotta keep Mikey's tinkering funded so he can keep teaching us new stuff..

Precisely why I got mine from Centaur Forge as well.  Plus, having an actual book as a reference is priceless.   

9 hours ago, rboughton3rd said:

Thanks for the link, but I ordered the book anyway. We gotta keep Mikey's tinkering funded so he can keep teaching us new stuff and I can apparently resell it on amazon and make $130 profit.

I did the same thing you did for the same reasons, and after three days Centaur Forge refunded my purchase because they didn't know when or if it will be back in stock.

ede,

I printed it out and put all the pages in sheet protectors. I need to have a physical book too. People rely way too much on technology now a days and we're losing touch with all of the old world skills!

eboughton3rd,

Fair warning: the first time I say anything about the next printing, dump that book. As soon as people know there are going to be new copies at normal prices again, it will become valued at about $15, if it is in good condition.

Mberghorn,

Thanks for posting the link; I'm sure lots of folks will find it valuable.

I will; my present publisher had to fly back to Florida, and take care of his father, who had a heart attack after undergoing two amputations. He had been holding up the latest reprinting while waiting for a new chapter from me. I have been putting that off while trying to recover enough from the latest stroke to do my own editing and drawings (Spell Check only gets us so far). Some times life resembles a daytime soap in the off season. On the other hand, enough troubles can force a sense of humor. Once we get too hoarse to scream, all that is left is laughter :P 

Or space where no one can hear you scream....I've had times when I want to go argue with Einstein over his statement "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."  Because I have strong experimental proof that things do tend to happen all at once!

5 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Or space where no one can hear you scream....I've had times when I want to go argue with Einstein over his statement "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."  Because I have strong experimental proof that things do tend to happen all at once!

Oh come on Thomas, he said EVERYthing, not things. A 1D universe would be pretty boring.

However, having a good sit down with Einstein would be a treat, I take exception with his statement that he "can't believe God would play dice with the universe." I've wanted to ask him why not? What's more Godlike than tossing a die at the beginning of the multiverses and watching the results. Heck he might even have something bet on the outcome.

Frosty The Lucky.