I Forge Iron

Newborn to Blacksmiting in Ashville Alabama

It would depend on the fire, the forge, and the length of the metal. Solid fuel forges heat differently than a gas forge. 4 feet of metal and your most likely safe, but 4 inches and you would most likely want tongs. I can heat 12 inch lengths for S hooks in my solid fuel forge but prefer 16 inch lengths. Again depends on the forge and the way it heats the metal.

Go to where the scrap is located. Junk yards or scrap yards if they will let you pick, otherwise go to the places that use metal and generate scrap like fabricators or machine shops.  Do not forget the local garages, custom shops, etc.

To start you would be interested in mild steel, but do not turn down any type steel offered. A coil spring is good for chisels, drifts, etc,

Also what it was used for previously is generally a good indicator as the higher carbon steels are more expensive to use they tend to be used only where the manufacturer thinks they have to be used!

I used to work near a medium sized "Ornamental Iron" company and they would let me have mild steel from their scrap bin for free!  Used to take out several hundred pounds a visit.  Of course I ASKED every time; wore proper PPE, left the scrap bin neater than I found it and made hand forged trinkets for their office.

Found a couple toolheads gor a couple Hoes, and a Hook that I believe is Iron, has a real dull sound to the hook. The guy told me he has lawnmower blades laying around somewhere and that he'll call me when he finds them. Also just got all the parts for my Forge excluding my Coal, and a hairdryer :D

I'll try to see who's open today while Im cruising around

Don't worry about tongs right away, they're not an easy first project. Practice projects using long enough stock to be able to keep one end cool and just use it as a handle. You could also buy tongs for reasonable prices if you absolutely have to have some right away.

Truth is I only have 4 pairs of tongs one I made (look so Ike's crap) and the other three I bought.

Well there's my problem, I'm not able to find anything long enough :/ and I'm not sure what items I would look for. I have plenty of very long Bolts, saw blades, and the like. but I cant work metal while its hot enough to work AND hold it. Though, like I said I don't know what or where I can find long metal, also bear in mind i am using a Brake Drum forge, nothing huge.

and I meant find/buy them not build tongs.

The Vikings forged swords 6" at a time, next excuse? 

All kiding aside, a pair of slip jaw pliers work ok. (The Chanel lock kind)

Now as to long stock, or long enugh stock, I assume their is a lumberyard in Alabama, a weld shop or a steel yard, failing that an old coil spring or even better the 3/4" square spring stock from a broken mud flap hanger on an over the road truck. To rods, pitman arms, anti sway bars, flat springs (if you can cut them, hint a hatchet can be used in a pinch as a hot set) and as a last resort rebar (do not quench any of the mentioned stock)

A pair of slip joint pliers with long handles welded to them work surprisingly well. If they're chrome plated they need to be stripped before you do any welding, the fumes are toxic, VERY.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have made several sets of tongs from flee market finds of horse "hoof nippers". 7/8 of the work is done. And for a buck or 2 I keep a good supply of them on hand.                  Life is Good             Dave

The guys are right. Tongs are not a necessity. Find some pliers or channellocks. You can weld some stock onto the handles if needed.  Trade Days is this weekend at Tannehill. You can probably find tongs and pliers there but be careful on pricing. 

Make hooks, lots and lots of hooks for first projects. These are great practice because you have to use several different techniques. Keep making them until they all look exactly alike. 

Vulcan Forge (part of the Alabama Forge Council) meets at Tannehill on the 2nd Sunday of each month. Come join us. You can see all the member forge information here.  http://www.alaforge.org/contact_us.html

As far as material goes, do not use anything that is galvanized (silver coating usually), there is plenty of scrap things you can use. Go to a junk yard and grab some coil springs. They are a good start. Cut the coils into smaller pieces and start hammering. You can also pick up new material at Metal Supermarket in Bessemer. They sell smaller pieces. If it comes right down to it, you can even get new material at Lowe's or Tractor Supply but you're going to pay a higher price for it. 

I actually have a couple more buckets of scrap that I could donate to you. Nothing special in them, mostly just cutoffs, but I'm moving and trying to clean out some stuff.  Shoot me a PM if you want.