I Forge Iron

Skull forge of Michigan

Nlauer

I've been looking for a gas forge to purchase for awhile now and I want to know if anyone has ever used a skull forge. I can't find anything about them anywhere. Any information about the  quality, dimensions, durability, and whether I should buy one would be greatly appreciated

FYI the OP never returned after posting his Ad which we removed

I cannot answer your question but I can clue you in about somethin else. Links to commercial sites are forbidden so don't be surprised when one of the mods remove that link.

I can tell you that you can build a gas forge for well under the $500 price tag on that one. Simply by doing a little research here you'll find most of your questions regarding design and construction materials have been answered numerous times.

I got my first two propane forges by attending a local ABANA affiliate's gas forge building workshops; one blown one dual burner NA, both  under US$125

Now I have no idea if you are in Australia or South Africa, or Wales so I can't make a suggestion to other locally sourced ones.  I will say that I am Very Very against mounting the burners vertically; not only due to the chimney effect mentioned around here recently but also for the greater possibility of re-running exhaust back through the burners creating massive amounts of CO.  The excessively long burner tubes perplex me too as there is usually a "proper length" for such burners and those look way over.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance.

I can't find a link to the "company" that makes "Skull forges" and only one link with one running. It was blowing probably 18" of rich flame out both ends.

It looks like Mr. Hammer's basic plan burners and I have no comment there.

I'd pass, even if I couldn't make my own easily enough. It's mall for 2 burners but blowing dragon's breath longer than the forge is I suppose it'll get hot but BOY the fuel cost.

You can do better than that, much.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're actually contemplating wasting money for such a deplorable forge, it proves that what you actually need is some background information. Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns contains ALL that information and plenty of other answers to questions you don't even know you need to ask yet; it was pirated several years ago, so you don't even have to pay for it. Go on line and get a free copy; you'll be glad you did.

You need the same information whether you wish to build your forge or to buy it. I see wonderful forges shown on the Net every day. I also see complete wastes of time and materials foisted off on the unsuspecting, by the utterly clueless; consider this fair warning.

• 1 year later...

Welcome aboard Agent Smith, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the heading you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Have you skimmed the gas forge section of IFI? The most current discussions can be found under the, "Forges 101" thread and the most current propane burner discussions under the, "Burners 101" thread.

If you give us some details on what you need or want we'll be able to link you to the related threads or answer your questions. Doing a little reading before diving into discussions helps a lot. You might find all the info you need without asking questions that have been asked and answered many MANY times already. More importantly it'll give you a handle on the craft jargon, we speak a specialized language that allows us to discus issues and topics and know what the other guy is asking or saying without having to explain every darn word and term. Seemingly everyday terms have specific meanings when you're talking blacksmithing.

I'm hoping this isn't upsetting you like Mother's cooking upset my waistline. :rolleyes: Inside jargon joke. 

Know any good but clean jokes? Like puns?

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Agent Smith, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the heading you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

trim your posts

If you threw me in a fire and then hit me on the head , repeatedly,  with a hammer,  I'll get upset. Beyond that,  it's all good. Just a metalhead

1 minute ago, Agent Smith said:

If you threw me in a fire and then hit me on the head , repeatedly,  with a hammer,  I'll get upset. Beyond that,  it's all good. Just a metalhead

You need more punch buddy, you kind of butchered that one. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Agent Smith said:

Thanks for the warm welcome as well. 

I intend to peruse everything I can, especially the business part. I've  been slinging steel for a while now, started selling more than I made at my job... so... I'm in business for myself now

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

You need more punch buddy, you kind of butchered that one. :P

Frosty The 

Thanks for the warm welcome as well. 

I intend to peruse everything I can, especially the business part. I've  been slinging steel for a while now, started selling more than I made at my job... so... I'm in business for myself now

Wait, how'd that happen.  

Ima noob to this site & how it works 

Oh, btw... I am I  Tulsa,  Oklahoma. 

Where's the header you speak of ? I'll put the locale there, & thanks for the suggestion