I Forge Iron

New forge

Fense

I got a new forge my first and trying to get it to the right heat and have the proper  flame is troubling me.  The flame seems to get stronger and then starts popping .  Does anyone have any ideas that could help me out ? 

image.jpeg

image.jpg

A couple points. Your burner is probably getting exhaust gasses from the too big opening. Another is put in another inch of ceramic blanket and kiln wash it. Check out Wayne Coe's website for good products in reasonable quantities for your purpose. Installing another inch of blanket will do a couple things for you. Reducing the volume will concentrate the output of your burner more for higher temperature and faster warm up. Secondly it will insulate it better and save you more fuel.

Then you need to reduce the size of your openings to JUST what you need to access the chamber with the work you're doing at the time.

Without seeing the flame and maybe hearing it I can't venture a guess as to how it's tuned. One tip though, once you get the choke late positioned for a proper flame do NOT mess with it anymore, even twisting wire around the threads to prevent anyone from moving it. This type burner maintains the air fuel ratio on a pretty flat curve so changing gas pressure isn't going to alter how it's tuned appreciably.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty pretty much covered it all, add some more wool, and cover it with some ITC-100 and you will notice a huge increase in how your forge runs.  I did notice one thing in your pictures though, you burner is sticking way to far into the forge.  I have one of those little forges like that, but I run my burner about 1/8 to 1/4 inch inside the wool.  To make it easier to understand, put the burner flare even with the wool, then back it out a bit.  Its pretty hard on the burner flair to have it in that far, eventually the forge heat will burn it out.  Not to mention it will just get in the way of moving your projects in and out of your forge, other than that, I would get some soft fire brick and make some "Doors" to help hold in the heat and a porch out the front of it, a lot of work happens on the porch of a forge.

Good catch on how deep he has the burner positioned JJ I missed that. You're exactly right move the burner back as JJ suggested BEFORE you start tuning it. The hole through the liner will behave like a "flare" so how the burner is positioned will do a little tuning itself.

Good call JJ, thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

27 minutes ago, jjhend28 said:

Thanks for the kudos Frosty! I'm always happy to help people avoid the mistakes I've made.

Me too. Learning from other people's mistakes is so much less work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like you also have it choked out. Doesn't seem like you are getting much air thru your venturi. Try to open the choke a bit at a time until you get a neutral flame. Too much fuel and not enough air will keep the temperature down. Too much air and your steel will rapidly oxidize in the forge. 

5 hours ago, Crazy Ivan said:

Looks like you also have it choked out. Doesn't seem like you are getting much air thru your venturi. Try to open the choke a bit at a time until you get a neutral flame. Too much fuel and not enough air will keep the temperature down. Too much air and your steel will rapidly oxidize in the forge. 

Could be Pete(?) but no telling without knowing the jet diameter. The pic of the flame looks slightly rich so I'd call it good for now. He really REALLY needs to get it set up correctly before he can start fine tuning it. I only just now (my BAD) saw he has the burner more than half way through the forge chamber. It can't work well like that let alone properly.

Frosty The Lucky.