I Forge Iron

"On The Beach" blacksmith survival game.

Frosty

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas: We're going to one game resolution post from the GM a day because of the post overload. I was pretty overwhelmed. If a erson has to take a break, say a day someone can carry the character as an NPC for a while. The GM will and not kill the PC off automatically though there will be a time limit.

I'm starting to remember some of the basics. I opened a notebook and will start making a list of players and Character names. The next module will be in another thread. If this goes on Glenn might need to start a new section. We could call it Blacksmiths in Dungeons, (BnD) :rolleyes:. Oh boy, that'd make the GM the Blacksmith game Master or (BM)!

Who's playing? I need to start a list. Players have to develop a Player Character, (PC) with basic characteristics: NAME, Sex, Height, hair color, profession, culture of origin. Optional characteristics like: race, 1st. and or # language, habits, quirks, personality, disabilities and disorders, etc. will fill things out. A character name other than your own is a good idea it can help you keep your character separate from yourself. Like theater I try to BECOME MY CHARACTER during sessions. Using a Character name makes it easier to "put the character on like a coat."

As an example of a character one of my old playmates put on like a costume was. Fredwerd, Short leg. One of his kids turned on "Batman" while he was rolling his character and Fred Ward's name was in the credits and Fredwerd was born. One of his many quirks was saying "Pow" if he socked someone, "BASH!" if he used a hammer or club, and so on. The inspiration for the character's name made it much easier to assume for games.

So far I have Das, OD, Dark Nebula and Darious. 4 is enough for a minimum game company. I'm setting max at 6. You in Charles, Thomas? You guys can back channel and help us ALL learn how to do this right.

Frostig Den Arbitus.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, Frosty said:

I haven't heard from Notown since bed time night one.

You told me I wasn't playing by the rules and something about RPGing me.  I've fired a  RPG and prefer to be on the shooting side than the receiving end. Only comment today is in 1959 I believe, there was a movie "On the Beach" where everyone died from nuclear fall out.    From 1st grade on my reports cards always said I didn't play well with others.  Guess it is the play part I don't get.  I've been watching from a distance.  Enjoy. 

Ah yes I remember regnaD kciN; poor fellow, I rolled 6 for his first four characteristics.  DM was going to allow me to just kill him off and roll again but I demanded to play him. He was fun, (stupid, ugly, weak and unwise; but fun)  didn't last long, lost a knife fight with a 1hp orc... I started playing back in the tan pamphlet days of the 70's...

On the Beach one of the first "post apocalypse" stories; I preferred "Alas Babylon" which came out as a book couple years later 1959 (OTB came out in book form in 1957).  

1 hour ago, notownkid said:

You told me I wasn't playing by the rules and something about RPGing me.  I've fired a  RPG and prefer to be on the shooting side than the receiving end. Only comment today is in 1959 I believe, there was a movie "On the Beach" where everyone died from nuclear fall out.    From 1st grade on my reports cards always said I didn't play well with others.  Guess it is the play part I don't get.  I've been watching from a distance.  Enjoy. 

In gamer terminology RPG stands for (Roll Playing Game.) What kind of fishing charter would have Rocket Propelled Grenades on board? Did I set up a game called, "Somali Pirates on the beach?" That could be fun, Anybody watching ISIS Youtube propaganda videos? Most are comedies of stupid with deadly weapons.

I"m sorry if you took the GM's resolution of your stated action to try calling on your Iphone instead of swimming for shore, personally. I kept your Character alive with a very minimum penalty of being revived with mouth to mouth and loss of your Iphone. Were we playing in a DnD scenario I probably would've killed him off for contemptuous disregard of good gamesmanship. However in the "Blacksmiths on the beach" module I considered how you were playing your Character as an opportunity to make the game interesting. That action was a terrific one for a Character who wasn't any kind of realistic outdoorsman. I was hoping for a Tree hugger PC. I was really disappointed you stopped participating.

I recognize my set up of the game is the basis for playability problems and I am tightening things up with freely given advice from experienced DMs to hopefully avoid player misunderstandings like this and other problems in future games.

A Player Character, (PC) that doesn't play well with others can really spice up a module. You're welcome to play if you'd like. Invent (roll up in RPG parlance) a PC and join in. Honestly I WELCOME a GRUMPY PC.

If you want to watch from the sidelines that's fine. Just please don't interfere with the game. Please feel free to PM me as the GM with ideas, suggestions, critique. I'll be open to PMs from players and spectators.

Heck I don't even know if Glenn wants to carry our bandwidth so I'm going to try HARD to make (game 2) blacksmith related so newcomers to the craft can read along and learn about the craft. Mostly how to bootstrap equipment and tools from whatever is available. I WILL be using Mr. Weygers for reference on (Action Resolutions.)

I'm going to start a new thread for setting up Game 2. The Game 2 play thread will be a separate and the game will start when I post the first Action Resolution. (AR) post. Set up WILL be finished and only a limited amount of off game clarification can take place. By off game clarification. You could've just asked me what I meant by RPG and why I put your Character unconscious on the beach while everybody else was walking around wet.

I have to get back to paper and pencil Heck maybe dig out my DnD manuals.

Frostig Den Arbitus.

I'd really need to see what's available; I can start from iron ore and end up with steel but it's a lot of labour for the output and so would not make sense in a short time survival scenario. Does a fish spear or a weir make more sense?  Anyone pack the collected poems of Robert W Service?  Any hills to tunnel into for housing? Will the bears follow the fish heads to the *other* group's camp?  I've cooked a 15# roast in a hollowed out log before but a nice big pot would sure help stretch the food along!

Did anyone see "Frontier House" and see the final episode where they rated all of them on being able to survive the winter?  *None* had enough wood cut...

Perhaps we should move from On The Beach to the Mysterious Island  (Dibs on Nemo's stuff!)

Exactly Thomas. A mistake I made was putting way to much steel in the tsunami wreckage and not giving enough incentive to use some of it. My bad for not being clear on the bear menace, etc. Next game living won't be so easy.

There will be steel available just not terribly usable as it.

"On The Beach" is the last game and it's over. I haven't decided on a title for the new session I'm just calling it Game 2 for now.

I'll start the Game 2 set up thread later today maybe tonight, I have a lot of thinking to do to make the next one more playable. You guys can back channel all you want.

As a tip for guys with little or no Roll playing experience. If you name your PC or give him/er a nick name that reflects his/er character it makes the game more playable. For example the Disney dwarves in Snow White: Grumpy, Happy, Sneazy, Dopey, etc. It's not a must but it helps you and everybody to keep the play in character.

If someone really wants to go post apocalyptic I can put you on Latouche Island with the abandonded copper mines, rich iron deposits and mature timber. It's pretty large island IIRC 20 miles long by average of 3-6 miles wide. That wouldn't be a short term game though, I'd have you mining for a month for game time while the colliers were cutting and charcoaling something like 20x the weight of the proposed smelt.

Short term is what I'm thinking for now. So get your heads wrapped around being "alone" in the woods, on an island or mountain with bears, wolves if it's a mainland scenario. The longer you're there the better your shelter needs to be, almost any cover will do for day one but exposure accumulates. A dip in cool water on day one is no big deal but day two you're in distress, day three maybe dead. This is pretty much a real world fact.

So No Thomas this is a short term, maybe a week or two survival scenario. A person proposing the action of mining and refining iron into steel will be operating under a negative roll modifier. PCs can of course it's just going to reflect on experience points and mods.

Do I put you on the player list?

Frostig Den Arbitus

I'm afraid they'd start calling me sweetie pie and I would have to fricassee them...so hard to find fava beans and a good chianti in such situations.  (I have read "Alive"... and seen the musical "Cannibal" and read "A Boy and His Dog")  Let me see what the Dr says tomorrow; I may have a bit more down time coming up.