I Forge Iron

Carbide chainsaw chain

natenaaron

I have some old boats I need to chunk up and get rid of.  It will cost me about 1000 dollars to take them to the dump.  If I cut them up I will just put them into our dumpster a bit at a time.  I was getting nowhere today with a Sawzall, when a friend came by.  He told how a chainsaw with a carbide chain would get the job done faster.  I know they have carbide chains but will they really cut anything that comes into their path, without killing me in the process?  He said they used them when he worked for the fire department.

Is this one of those too good to be true things?

I figured someone here would be able to refute or support his claim.  I would love to get this done faster.  The first set of boats are blocking my blacksmithing area.

We had carbide chains on saws in the Fire Department, it would open a 5'x5' hole in a roof for ventilation in about 2 min.  Metal Roofing, shingles, timbers,  nails, wiring, what ever was there  With an axe 3 guys and 20 min if you were lucky.  Also they have large circular cut off saws with carbide blades works great as well, BUT they are not cheap.  Will take a large size chainsaw to have enough power to  do the cutting, no little homeowners model.  

It's the "without killing yourself" part that's in question. How much experience do you have using chain saws? Using a carbide chain on indeterminate materials takes a combination of gentle touch and brute strength. Some things are really grabby some just come apart. It might take a couple chains but they'll cut up most things.

I suppose I should've asked what they're made of first but it's never too late. What are they made of, power boats, outboards, inboards, Ironclads, etc?

Frosty The Lucky.

Civil war era iron clad, Frosty.  :D  Fiber glass, IO and OB.  I have plenty of experience with chainsaws, but I was worried about the chain breaking and flying wild or losing teeth.  I was using a carbide stone blade when a tooth came off and took a piece of my glasses off.  Scared the poo out of me.  Now I sort of hesitate when something says carbide teeth. That is were the kill me thing came from.

Shaped charges for the ironclads a big enough chain saw is just too heavy for a shift. Don't hog feeding it into the boats and it'll probably just jam before breaking. They're whole different animal than a circle saw blade the carbides on a chainsaw have a different shape and much larger area where they're silver soldered to the tooth.

Chain saws either jam on the way into the sprocket or get thrown out the front if they break. I've never even heard of one coming back at the operator. Never, Never, N-E-V-E-R stand in FRONT of or or let someone stand in front of a chain saw. Rip out all you can before taking the saw to it. Wear good PPE, have someone close enough to call 911,(I don't guarantee nothin) take it slow and careful and it should go well.

Frosty The Lucky.

The guys I have worked with only use carbide tips for working with the chain in the ground, they ditch the worn TC chain after 12-16 small jobs. Everything else is done with standard chains and lots of sharpening and setting.

• 5 years later...

One common use for the carbide chainsaw chains is when one believes he/she will be cutting wood that has nails or embedded metal wire.  Often, these are common in farm and ranch situations where the trees were used as posts for fencing and signs.  They don't cut as fast as a sharp conventional chain but will get the job done.  Also, can be much more expensive.

See my reply to your other post. Chainsaws are too dangerous to try to lean about by asking random people on a blacksmith forum. There are books and places to take lessons. Heck most places that sell and service chainsaws "NOT big box stores like Lowes" will take you out back and show you how to safely start, hold and use a chainsaw. Just do NOT think you know enough to start ding tricky things like mill lumber. Carbide Chains are not particularly good for ripping lumber, you need a proper ripping blade sharpened to rip lumber. 

That's all I'm going to tell you, this is NOT the place to learn about chainsaws except maybe some of he disaster stories. Mine is in the prayer section and I'd been cutting timber for a couple decades before the accident.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chainsaws are right handed tools.  There are RULES for their use that are not written in the manuals, like do not cut above arm pit high, and if beer is involved, shut down and go home.

Chains are cheap and you should learn when to replace them, and how to sharpen them.  Dull chains are dangerous. 

Switching chain designs and configuration without a lot of research and a lot of light duty practice is not something you want to approach without caution.  

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 12:54 AM, rockstar.esq said:

This, thread reminds me of a question posted online.  "What's the medical term for a fear of chainsaws?".

The #1 voted response was "Common sense"!

I really enjoyed reading this. Truly a legend. Respect for nature!

Welcome aboard huzam, glad to have you. if you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with other members. Also many answers are strongly location specific so it matters. 

Have you looked at carbide tools? They are MUCH more complicated to manufacture than mono-steel tools. Steel chains have tooth, link and pin. 3 pieces, they are rough formed heat treated assembled and sharpened, done. Carbide blades require a different steel, tooth sections are rough formed and ground, Carbide bits have to be sintered which in itself is about a 5 step process using EXPENSIVE materials and lastly are brazed to the tooth section. 

Carbide blades are more expensive because the materials are more expensive and there are about 3x the steps and 2x the machinery involved in manufacture.

Frosty The Lucky.