I Forge Iron

A solid working man's boot

3 hours ago, ianinsa said:

A boot that I've been very happy with are Hiec hiking boots with a steel toe cap and you can get them from sports authority in Utah I get the full leather ones and use the laceguardjobbies when doing hot work.

South Africa to Utah for boots?  Must be some XXXX fine boots.  :D

I saw some spats at our local welding supply but they were pretty flimsy.  Are they supposed to be?  Like welding glove material without all the padding

23 hours ago, natenaaron said:

South Africa to Utah for boots?  Must be some XXXX fine boots.  :D

I saw some spats at our local welding supply but they were pretty flimsy.  Are they supposed to be?  Like welding glove material without all the padding

They are just to stop torch cutting or welding sparks from getting into your boots.  The idea is to have a smoothish surface that won't catch the sparks like your laces and boot tongue will.   Many of the foundries I go to the spats they use are the silver heat resistant ones but are much more expensive and are not really needed in the blacksmith shop.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, Crazy Ivan said:

I've heard of them and will definitely be looking into them for my next pair.

Check with your state DEP office and see if they will connect you with some of their forestry people who most likely are on Hot Shot Teams of Wildland Firefighters that the state sends to the West each summer.  My Son was on one for a few years after leaving the US forest service summer hot shots.  they will know where to get White Boots I'm sure they have them and you want to be measured well and they make them for you.  Super Boot.  I know a place in Cody WY but a bit far to get measured. 

Dale, I love those!!!

Australian Redback boots are without a doubt, hands down the most comfortable, long lasting "workingmans' boots" ever. Even if you happen to be a woman.. and trust me, I've been through a lot of boots, you know what they say about girls and their shoes, well I'm quite partial to boots. :) 

Totally worth the £80 odd to ship them from down under!!! 

• 5 weeks later...

No posts since last month, but I'll add my two cents anyway. I swear by Blundstones. I used to buy cheap at Wallyworld, but I would get knee pain that would then turn into an aching lower back. These boots aren't cheap, but they're made tough, and the pair I currently have pass Canadian Safety Association, are also electrical shock resistant (Omega) and have metatarsal protection.

Oh yeah. And my knees and feet and back don't hurt anymore.