I Forge Iron

A solid working man's boot

I asked this at another site I belong too and quickly came to the conclusion that those who responded were not smithing, welding, torch cutting very thick pieces of steel, or around oil and grease as much as I am.  All of their suggestions were what I would call too pretty to get dirty boots.

Right now I have some redwings but they are too large.  I got them on clearance so there was a no return policy and they sent me the wrong size.  Yes I tried to send them back and got a huge run around.  I learned two things, only buy from online retailers you have experience with and if the person on the other side speaks poor english and has a huge attitude you don't want to deal with them.

fast forward 7 years and I have been doing well with my everyday shoes, a stray BB has gotten me now and then but I can live with it.  I don't think I should be this cavalier with very hot metals.  So I need a good working man's boot.  Functional, comfortable, will last and I don't care about looks.  Any thoughts?  My budget is $100 or under.

I hate to say this, but in my neck of the woods anything under $100 is not going to be a good boot.  If you're looking for leather with safety toes and chemical resistant soles around here you're going to be in the $150 to $200 range for a pair that is comfortable and durable. Redwing is normally a pretty good brand even though the ones I have now were made in China.  Maybe someone else can name a brand that is both reasonably priced and still what you want, but my experience has been that cheap boots don't last and/or hurt my feet too much.

I'm wearing German combat boots; not perfect but as they shut down the german BX over at Fort Bliss and sold off the stuff and I take a size not generally worn around here, (13 EEEE in Reeboks), well let's say that 4 pairs of brand new boots for US$12 total  covers a lot especially as at that price I can use them as disposables...

If you're on your feet all day $100.00 isn't likely to do your feet much good. I've worn out a pair of Redwings and they were more than $100.00 15+ years ago. I can't wear my White's "Logger Smoke Jumpers", anymore and they're WAY over your budget, mine cost around $400.00 30 years ago but I don't think you can buy better. They are custom made to YOUR feet but you can work on virtually any surface all day long for decades.

You REALLY need to go to a "brick and mortar" store to buy foot ware that fits. You must try them on BEFORE you buy. Buying work boots online is a crap shoot I wouldn't play. Boot laces where you're making a LOT of hot spray, splatter, etc. isn't the best they can catch hot dingleberries. Smooth toed slip ons or ones with leather spatter shield covers will protect your feet. The tops have to be tall enough to fit inside your pants legs to prevent dingleberries getting trapped against your feet.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a pair of Georgia steel toes now. My previous Georgia's were not steel toe and I wore them all day everyday. Lasted many years and were very comfortable for me. You may be different though. They were around $150 though and I don't think you're going to find anything less than that that will hold up very long.

Look into some surplus Bellville boots, they are one of the current military suppliers, and they offer an array of styles and features. I have gone through the inexpensive boots with no good results. Some were very comfortable, but wore out very fast, like a few months fast. I found some new Bellvilles at one of the thrift stores in Las Vegas for $10 during the half off day. They were in my size 8.5 extra wide, and fit perfect. They are the most comfortable boot I have worn yet. I didn't have much welding going on at the time, so the Cordura panels were not an issue, but the lightweight construction is appreciated during the hot summers here.  I didn't need the GoreTex liner, but I really didn't have a choice this time. These boots are normally around $180. 

For online retailers I would only go through Zappos.com , free shipping both ways and you have a year to return them. They pride themselves on their customer service, and they are based in downtown Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada. You can literally order 10 pair, try them on, and send them all back on their dime. 

I will not be wearing these all day, just during extended welding or when smithing.  With temps in the summer hovering at 100+F I need shoes with ventilation for everyday stuff.  I wear running shoes most of the time. 

Looks like I will need to figure out how to increase the budget.

my #1 is redwing 877 but remember when buying good boot you brake your foot into the boot not the boot to your foot.  And remember to go alittle tight because leather will I said leather will stretch.  One key to braking in is get them wet and ware till dry.  

Now mostof my boots are slip ons.  Easy on easy off.  Redwing has a great pare of slip ons.  I also like Georgia, Justin, toned lama, Danner and rocky.  

If you have lace up boots superglue on the laces helps with weld spatter.  That is what we would do with all our laces when I was doing high iron.  

I've had 60 yrs of Boot fitting problems, my dad's fix for not wide enough was get next sixe so with a 10 foot I was wearing 12 boots made me look and feel like a circus clown.. First boots that ever fit me were in the Army 10.5 EEEE.  Those are not $100 or less boots  or shoes for that matter.   To this day I have problems getting boots, last good pair I found was at Boot King while driving through Ind., previous was a boot store in Cody Wy. where they happen to also sell White Boots Frosty mentioned.  Pretty tough when you live in Vermont.  The whites were for my firefighter son who has a complete size difference between his feet. try living with that one.   If just for short time wear  what about I hate to say it, Walmart? 

Forgot to mention that Bellvilles are made here in the States. If you are anywhere near a military installation you should be able to find a pair. The desert combat boots have ventilation built into them. They also offer all leather versions besides the suede and Cordura ones I have..

Because I have a short fat foot with a high arch I could never buy without trying them on first. Zappos ,makes it so you can without the cost of shipping being an issue.

I don't know whether to recommend these. I will only report what I've found.They are Converse, made in China. The boots have an ASTM number on a tag inside the tongue. They don't have a steel toe, but rather a strongly reinforced toe externally. They are brogan height with the ankle cushion. I got them last year on sale under $100. They have been good to my feet.

533.JPG

I spend a minimum of $200 on my boots and don't expect more than 6 months out of them. The comfort is well worth the price however. Brands I would recommend are thoroughgood, danner and Chippewa. Georgia boot is what I'm wearing now and man does it make me miss my danners. They are not bad boots by any means but being on your feet 12+ hours a day, you can feel the difference. Wish I didn't think to try and save $50 and skimp on comfort I know and trust. I spend money on two things.... Boots and camping/hunting gear. Everything else I can either make or buy cheap. I never skimp on boots though. 

2 hours ago, Crazy Ivan said:

I spend a minimum of $200 on my boots and don't expect more than 6 months out of them. The comfort is well worth the price however. Brands I would recommend are thoroughgood, danner and Chippewa. Georgia boot is what I'm wearing now and man does it make me miss my danners. They are not bad boots by any means but being on your feet 12+ hours a day, you can feel the difference. Wish I didn't think to try and save $50 and skimp on comfort I know and trust. I spend money on two things.... Boots and camping/hunting gear. Everything else I can either make or buy cheap. I never skimp on boots though. 

Look up someone measuring for Whites. the fit like they're made for YOUR feet and are tough as nails. Spendy but can't beat the fit, durability ad rebuildability. I wore their logger smoke jumpers.

Frosty The Lucky.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

Look up someone measuring for Whites. the fit like they're made for YOUR feet and are tough as nails. Spendy but can't beat the fit, durability ad rebuildability. I wore their logger smoke jumpers.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've heard of them and will definitely be looking into them for my next pair. I bought the Georgia's because I wanted to try a pair of cowboy boots. It's a big difference from the flat soled "ironworker" boots I've been wearing my whole working life but my back was starting to tell me I needed to buy a pair of boots with a heel. I will say, it is nice to not have to replace shoelaces so often from scale and sparks burning/weakening them. I still have my danner tachyons but swapped them out with the cowboy boots for work (80% of my day). 

P.S. I've noticed that even though I'm not even South of the mason Dixon, I'm starting to accidentally dress like a "good ol boy" lol. 

I used leather laces when doing a lot of sparky hot work. You can also get the shield tongue things that cover the laces I can't recall what they're called but casters and such use them or wear slip ons.

Frosty The Lucky.

A boot that I've been very happy with are Hiec hiking boots with a steel toe cap and you can get them from sports authority in Utah I get the full leather ones and use the laceguardjobbies when doing hot work.

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I used leather laces when doing a lot of sparky hot work. You can also get the shield tongue things that cover the laces I can't recall what they're called but casters and such use them or wear slip ons.

Frosty The Lucky.

Go into the welding supply and ask for spats.  Just like the fashion accessory from many years ago.  They cover the laces etc. and keep out drops when torch cutting etc. 

Just now, JNewman said:

Go into the welding supply and ask for spats.  They cover the laces etc. to keep out drops when torch cutting etc. 

SPATS! I  knew I had the name filed away somewhere in there! Who needs a memory with enough friends around?

Thanks. Frosty The Lucky.

I mostly wear steel toed shoes as they are much lighter than boots but the spats are a necessity when torch cutting as they don't protect the tops of my feet as well as boots.  

I have a pair of boots sitting here in my office with metatarsal guards to wear when I have heavy forging to do.  Heavy pieces or tools that get spit out of the hammer invariably land behind the steel cap on steel toes

I have a few pairs of spats

7 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I've actually been thinking about making some spats for my boy; his feet are growing too quickly to keep him in steel toes -- not on my budget, anyway.

Go to make a plan man , maybe bigger size and extra sox? Crushed tootsies can be debilitating.

7 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I have some spats and use them when casting, just very hot and cumbersome in hot weather.