I Forge Iron

Questions about the Karrihard 30lb

Hey folks!

So last year I picked up my first power hammer, an early Mayer Bros "Easy" Helve hammer, in really clean, complete (no motor) condition ready to get running again, but as I do more research about them, the more I'm thinking I should let it go to a collector, since they seem to be one of the rarest power hammers around, and are more valuable for their history than any disservice I'm bound to bring it. So I've started looking at what I should get once I find a buyer for the Easy hammer. I started looking at "smaller" power hammers because I'm working out of my garage, so the ceiling clearance needs to account for the garage door. That leaves me with about 6 feet, plus a base. At first I was looking for a nice 25lb LG, since it is the right size, and parts are plentiful, but somebody turned me on to the 30lb Karrihard. They're beautiful little machines, but it sounds like finding one for sale might be my life's mission, and finding one for sale that is complete, and working may be out of the question.

Either way I can't find much information about them. Can you tell me about the company? Anyone with experience with a karrihard that can speak to how they measure up to other power hammers? If I find one, that is complete, undamaged, and ready to get to work, how much should I expect to pay for it? They're uncommon, but it sounds like they're not super desirable because finding parts are near impossible.

What do you guys think? Is there another power hammer about as tall or shorter than a 25lb LG that you would suggest?

It is spelled Kerrihard. There are several videos of them on YouTube.

I picked one of the older 30lb ones up at an estate auction several about 4 years ago for $50 or $100 (can't remember!) because everyone else was buying guns at the other end of the property in the 2nd ring. I hadn't really planned on buying it and didn't come prepared to load it. I figured it would sell for more Money than I had. I had to pay 3 guys to help me lift it in the back of my truck. I've been so busy with work & family I haven't got it back together yet. The biggest problem I've read about and is a problem on mine is that the pockets in the ram for the "t-bolts" can wear thin and may need to be welded to build them back up.

I have seen one of the newer style round ram ones at an auction last year and The quality & robustness was not as good as the older ones. There were casting holes in the frame near the back of the hammer. It also had some repaired/replaced parts. If I remember right it sold somewhere in the range of $600-$900.

There is information on the in the book "Pounding Out the Profits". Price is going to vary depending on the part of the country you are in and the situation of the sale. Keep an eye out for estate auctions is my best advise. I have seen two others turn up in auction listings in Wisconsin/Minnesota area since I bought mine. That is about as frequent as other brands of hammer.

I personally would rather see you put the Easy back to work instead of selling it to a collector. These hammers were built for a long service life and after many years of work can generally be rebuilt and used again for many years. I doubt you are going to to anything to it by using it that is going to diminish its value. I think you should use it and let it go to someone else once you are done with it.

Will, thanks for the insight! That should help moving forward. Also, I had a sneaking suspicion I wasn't spelling it correctly after the second or third time I typed it out. Ah well.

Kubiak, I picked it up with that intent, but the more research I did, the more I realized I was out of my depth. I've never done anything like this, and I simply couldn't do this thing justice. Plus, literally every example I've seen online has been in worse condition than mine, and I almost don't want to touch it at all. There have been some really nice restorations, but the starting pics are all pretty rough off, and mine isn't. I don't want to change anything, you know? I want to preserve it. Also, I've heard that Helve hammers are pretty loud, and that won't do in my neighborhood.