I Forge Iron

Anyone Know This Maker On Double Cross Peen

jfaldo

Picked up a box of blacksmith tools this weekend and this old double cross peen hammer was one of the items. It weighs 4.5 pounds and has the maker's name stamped on all four sides. An internet search produced zero results. The maker as best I can tell is D.L & W. WKS.CO. Anyone ever heard of them?

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

Looks like a mason's stone dressing hammer, especially at that weight.

I don't think makers stamped all for sides, too expensive but someone who didn't want their hammer to walk off might think it worth the extra dozen hammer blows. Shifting to WAG mode I vote for owner's stamp.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well Tom I think you have the answer. The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western was abbreviated pretty much the way it appears on this hammer. They were in operation for a long time (1853-1960) it appears. Is there a way it could be more accurately dated in that time frame?

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

My Guess is: Delaware, Lackawanna and Western  Works  and so most likely the "owner" as train companies tend to aggressively stamp their tools.

I notice that the old DL&W shops are incorporated into the Steamtown national park https://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm.  It might be possible to e-mail the hammer photo to them for verification that it is from the railroad or whether to keep digging.

Makes a lot of sense as the source, though.  The railroads did like to stamp their initials on everything they could find.  

The various railroads merged over time and so their stamps probably would vary depending on when it was imprinted.  Probably need to find a railroad buff to help out there. Might see if the Steampark has someone you can ask.

I'll tell my Father he got credited for something he wasn't even aware off; me I'm Thomas (or Tomboy if you're kinfolk...yup I turn 60 this year but will still answer to it from kin...)