I Forge Iron

Edgar Frank's Old French Ironwork

yves

Just received this to-day. I had to have it when I read that Raymond Lecoq (author of Les objets de la vie domestique) looked up to Frank.

Frank was of the USofA and spent time in France where he started a collection of wrought iron objects which became very important. All the objects in his book are from his collection and have not been seen any where else. The book was published by the Harvard University Press in 1950.

57080d346d268_imgFrankOldFrenchIronwoek.

Mr Turley, bonjour.

Frank's is the book I take with me to read calmly before sleeping. I did not read much yet.  I learn a lot about styles.

Two things to mention.

1) I have found no references to the book "Petite ferronnerie ancienne" Frank published in 1948, just two years before this english version. It was on the same subject though smaller, less pages. I did not buy it as the prices hover in the 150€.

2) On page 26, Frank claims that Viollet-le-Duc was one that negated the existence of the file in the Middle Ages.

As uneasy as Viollet-le-Duc leaves me, his vision of the Middle-Ages having tainted much of the thinking and outlook on that period, I have read in his entry on the word "grille" that he condemns the use of the file as being a mere instrument in the hands of a clumsy blacksmith (here, in section 68). I have not seen any negation of the existence of the file in the Middle-Ages by Viollet-le-Duc. On the contrary he knows it existed but that it was not used by the best blacksmiths. Negating the existence of the file wold be a blatant contradiction. 

Not important realy but worth mentioning I believe in order to point out that even the best authors must be checked out. If I'm wrong, I win because my wearines of Viollet-le-Duc will have a better leg to stand on and if I'm right (or wrong), my point that we should always be on the look-out is confirmed.

Oh, and that first lock of mine will be coming soon … I hope, eventough 'hope' is not a worthy strategy in blacksmithing as compared to going out and forging it …