I Forge Iron

Split cross

Icguy

Looks good to me. We usually trim the top of the cross to the desired length. This allows you to use the head of the spike as a stand for a shelf or table display cross.

These make good demonstration projects if you can do them fast enough, the audience marvels at the transition. It looks like we're drawing a cross out of a straight bar. We ARE of course but we really don't have to tell them how. ;)

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Matt......How are you cutting them? I may have to try that. Thanks......although I will play with the cut ratios abit, to get closer to a "t"rather than a "+"....just my preference           carry on                        Dave

To get a more traditional cruciform shape trim the top after you spread it. I use my band saw but a Sawzall or hack saw works a treat. Of course the purists amongst us chisel cut which does have it's advantages.

I find I tend to overlap the cuts too much or maybe more than I like once spread.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can close large openings like that up on the horn with a cross or straight pein is it has a nice round pein. Go slow and strike corner to corner and flatten gently on the face.

The larger negative spaces (gotta keep my art speak polished don't you know) are nice for slumping marbles into. Teenylittlemetalguy has the knack maybe he'll jump in.

Frosty The Lucky.