I Forge Iron

"Knifemaker" grinder from Grizzly?

elkdoc

Considering splurging for the combo 2x78" belt sander and buffer in the Grizzly Industrial catalogue. They call it a knife belt sander /buffer. Got to check one out in person today, and it appeared to be a pretty decent unit. ! hp motor, easy to change belts, etc.

G1015.jpg

Any thoughts?

I have the Grizzly knife grinder. I have not had it long and have not used it much, but it seems fine. The only problem I see with it is that the tool rest will have to be modified some. I have had the Grizzly buffer (same motor) for about five years and have used it a LOT. I have had very good service out of it.

Hello ELKDOC-- As with most platens behind the belt--This one is too short.. You need to add about three inches more.

On the buffing side--You can get a threaded spindle for it. That would allow you to change buffing pads in seconds, instead of wearing out the threads on the spindle.

I have three different pads with different grits. I use some knife edge buffs and different thickness buffs on different parts of a knife.

Also with the sander in an upright position like that. It will throw a lot of grit and filings right in your face. Make sure you have a very good respirator(SP) and goggles.

Chuck

Jason,

If money is as tight at your house as it is at mine, the Grizzly might be exactly what you need.

But, if you are going to Bowie's hammer-in, hold up on spending any money until you look at Rob Frink's machines.

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/

Man... those are amazing machines. The difference is that you can buy 2 or 3 Grizzlys for what one of these costs. Note that the motors and pulleys are not included in the package price.

If Rob is there, he usually has a couple demos set up for folks to try.

Don

But, if you are going to Bowie's hammer-in, hold up on spending any money until you look at Rob Frink's machines.

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/

Hey Don. Funny, Bowie said the exact same thing to me on Sunday. I really cant spend the money on anything much more than the Grizz right now, though. I'm assuming that you'll be at the hammer-in. We really should meet face-to-face sometime.

I hear ya on the money. I'm still trying to master my filing technique. In other words, I can't afford either right now.

I am going to try to make it to Ron's as much as I can. I got a "thing" during the day on Saturday, but I am hoping to be there Friday evening, at least part of Saturday, and maybe a while on Sunday. I'll be sure to look you up.

Elkdoc , I am saving up for the Grizzly too, maby my Christmas present to myself :D Since the old Delta grinder died , I have been using my Craftsman hand held 3" wood working belt grinder held in my vise, It does NOT work well and belt selection is poor ( 60 , 80 , 100 , 120 ) is all I can get localy. 2X72 belts are the only way to go !!! you can get anything from 50 - 2000 grit !
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/103.cfm?

• 3 weeks later...