I Forge Iron

Coal in salt lake city

Imy very very new at blacksmithing, and I guess I should have asked my question in a different way, I wasn't sure if lump coal was good for a coal forge, and second I really have no idea if that was a good price, sorry for not being clear the first time. Thanks again

"Lump coal" may be their commercial term but it does NOT indicate the usability of it for forging.  If you search you will find coal specifications as to BTU, Ash, Sulfur contents, coking proclivity, etc and if your proposed source can provide that to you you can compare.  

Generally when we run across a new source we try to get a "sample" like a 5 gallon bucket and use it and compare it to a known good coal; like is sold through farrier and blacksmithing supply companies for big bucks!  Since you are new in the craft it might be hard for you to compare.  This is where having contact with other smiths in your area can help.

I know of one fellow who got a lot of "coal" free and ended up using it as fill in his dirt driveway as it was not worth the cost to forge with...

Thank you mr. Powers, for the heads up on the coal I will ask the the company if I can have a bucket full to use to see if it will work. I really don't want to pay for a truck load of coal that I can only use for xmas presents. Thank u again

For no other reason that it might help people know where "looking" for a coal source may be more productive, I'll dump this here.  It doesn't address the quality of what's coming out of each area but if you happen to be driving through a region, it might be worth asking around to get closer to the source.  You can see a generalized description of coals here http://www.sustainlife.org/blogs/sustainlife/2012/06/coal-for-blacksmithing/

reserves.jpg

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, Keevin said:

1500 Chevy Silverado 

Welcome aboard Keevin... did you want to trade the Silverado for coal?:lol: Just kidding ya, we won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to put it in your profile. The Read This First thread will help you in getting the best out of the forum.