I Forge Iron

How do you store your stakes and hardies?

So I have modified my old storage that was way overcrowded and tried to make room for all of my stakes and hardies which had been accumulating in boxes and crates.  I thought this cart would hold everything but it doesn't.  It's not the worst problem in the world to have but I would like everything to be more organized.  Does anyone have a good storage system that they use?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Every random number of years I have to expand my tooling rack(s) or spawn another one off and try to sort them.  The big sorting of the sheep from the goats was when I put in a 6' long rack for the armouring tools and separated them from the ones I used for regular forging.  (hammers too).  I hunt for gridwork at the scrap yard that is appropriate sized and steel bases that I can mount it too.  Of course some tools migrate back and forth.

Welded ranch panel fencing makes nice tool rack material, you can find different spacing and it comes in 16' lengths so a couple should do for a couple years.

I organize my stake and bottom tools by the available flat surface method. Its a time honored traditional technique that's been around since humans started keeping sharp sticks and throwing stones.

Frosty The Lucky.

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welded ranch panel fencing makes nice tool rack material, you can find different spacing and it comes in 16' lengths so a couple should do for a couple years.

I organize my stake and bottom tools by the available flat surface method. Its a time honored traditional technique that's been around since humans started keeping sharp sticks and throwing stones.

Frosty The Lucky.

Available flat surface method. That is a really nice way to put it. I am afraid my wife would use another way of describing it.

Be careful you don't collect too many. It's like guns and fishing rods really

Just the ones you need not the ones you want

Put the ones you don't use much in a box some place and see how much you open it 

I had a hammer on my rack that I did not use a single time in over 10 years; and then working on a project it was the absolutely perfect one to do a tricky detail fast and well.  Paid for itself about a dozen times over if you count the cost in time not using it would have amounted to.  It's sitting on my rack waiting for the next time, (which may come sooner now that I know I can manage that tricky bit easily...)

Personally I need them out in the open to remind myself that I have them.