I Forge Iron

One word of caution, be careful with the bottle you use to spray it - I just pick them up at the dollar store because the same mixture that you spray on the piece will rust the little metal spring that is a part of any spray bottle.  I can prolong the sprayer by turning it upside down and letting the inside tube catch enough air to just spray some air through - it seems to knock off some of the mixture and prolong the life of that spring a bit, but the mixture WILL destroy it soon enough.   That's why God made dollar stores!   :D

15 minutes ago, SpankySmith said:

One word of caution, be careful with the bottle you use to spray it - I just pick them up at the dollar store because the same mixture that you spray on the piece will rust the little metal spring that is a part of any spray bottle.  I can prolong the sprayer by turning it upside down and letting the inside tube catch enough air to just spray some air through - it seems to knock off some of the mixture and prolong the life of that spring a bit, but the mixture WILL destroy it soon enough.   That's why God made dollar stores!   :D

I've been through several dollar store spray bottles. Usually it's the two little plastic tabs that hold the pump handle that wear out or break before anything.  At the moment Wagner is sitting on the counter at my work and the secratarys love him and another couple pieces lol. I need to sneak him back home to rust him up a bit soon. I'll have to distract them with something else. 

15 minutes ago, SpankySmith said:

I've been through several dollar store spray bottles. Usually it's the two little plastic tabs that hold the pump handle that wear out or break before anything.  At the moment Wagner is sitting on the counter at my work and the secratarys love him and another couple pieces lol. I need to sneak him back home to rust him up a bit soon. I'll have to distract them with something else. 

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Yeah, that peroxide works pretty well. Wagner will look good brown. Show us a pic when you''ve wusted up that wascally wabbit!!

Lol I'll post pics when I'm done. My only concern is getting a somewhat even rusting on the different parts. I know the body and head will rust faster and easier then the bearings. May have to concentrate on certain parts more with a cotton ball dabbing it or something. 

Remember that rust patina solution wants to be kept damp. I like a plastic tub with a lid and a layer of water. Keeping the piece out of the water is important but a little sunshine or a lamp will keep the humidity up in the tub.

It's pretty dry here so I have to make up for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the tips guys. It's pretty humid where I'm at in PA. most of the time. Rust seems to come easy around here. Just working at controlled rust, that's the trick. I don't want to rust the base so I will coat that with oil before I start.

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Thanks for the tips guys. It's pretty humid where I'm at in PA. most of the time. Rust seems to come easy around here. Just working at controlled rust, that's the trick. I don't want to rust the base so I will coat that with oil before I start.

Heck, why mess with rust solutions just put it in the garden. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.