I Forge Iron

Homemade tools

How many different tools have you made that you can gather in one photo?

I started out making blades but have gone on to make Adzes, Axes & Hammers & have only scratched the surface with simple stuff,  maybe pliers one day :rolleyes: .    lt would  be cool to see how many different tools can be made,  a homemade "tool kit" I guess.

So please show us how many different tools you've made.      

I think it only fair that five different hammers count as a hammer not five!  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wondered this same thing. I'm on a super tight budget, I only work 9 month out of the year and I go back in 2 weeks, so savings is dwindling. I bought a cheep Kobalt hammer (I know it's not for smiting, and it has a plastic handle) but it was only 16$ and it seems to do the job. I have a good, inherited, high quality vice, it's almost 150 years old, but I refurbished it and it works like the day it was bought. I've been using a pair of large vice grips insted of tongs, my forge is basically made of dirt. It all works, but I would love to see some homemade tongs and other tools. I don't have too much money to spend, and while tongs can be as low as $30, it all adds up. I need an anvil and I assume some other tools that I'm not yet aware of! Sorry I don't have pits you asked for, but I have the same interest. I have an angle grinder, which is a godsend of making some tools, and I can do some simple forging, but with that, I wonder what I can make!

I have bought over 100 good smithing hammers for US$5 or less from flea markets, garage sales and junk stores.  Shoot my 7$ british broad arrow sledge only cost $10; 16$ and a plastic handle seems high.   I pick up handleless ball peens when I can find them for a dollar or less and then you can forge them into handled punches, hot cuts, etc. Remember to draw the striking end fairly soft when heat treating!

On 17/03/2016 at 3:51 AM, Ish675 said:

I need an anvil

Or any big bit of steel.

Here's a photo of my stuff, an axe, bowl adze, hammer, knife & I forgot about my "mechanics knife, fork & spoon" :lol:

DSC05965_zpsfujwngu5.jpg

I've made a few knives but didn't include a machete as I guess it's just a big knife.  Haven't had a go at making tongs yet as I got a few from a flee market, maybe some wood gouges next.......

While it's a fun question and something for the new guys to fantasize about it's not really pertinent nor usefu for guys wanting to learn the craft. Questions like: What tools do you use the most often. What do you use to  make ? , How do you organize your . . . ?s 

And so on. Talking about utility questions help folk at all levels, the new guys get a glimpse of one or many ways to do a thing and the guys who've done it so many times they don't think about it anymore have to so they can describe the what and how. This is good for everybody. Take a picture of all your tools! is pretty useless unless you're having an auction.

Frosty The Lucky.

30 minutes ago, Frosty said:
45 minutes ago, Glenn said:

For most blacksmiths, you would need a wide angle lens AND an aerial view.

And that I would like to see :o

Take a picture of all your tools! is pretty useless unless you're having an auction

OK.   

Folks usually like to show off the stuff they have made & other folks usually like to look at it, but fair enough.