I Forge Iron

10 in serated contact wheel

Hey guys quick question. right now i have the kmg grinder with a flat platen and a small contact wheel. I just ordered a 10 in serated contact wheel.My question is what can i accomplish with the wheel that i couldnt with the platen. I ordered it for 2 things i want to try and learn how to hollow grind and also i want to be able to get those long sweeping rounded grind line that people keep telling me it is MUCH eaiser to do with a wheel. but i dont want to limit my self i want to try everything i can with this wheel and i am sure there are some things i am not thinking of that can be done with a wheel. thanks guys

A contact wheel especially a serrated one gives a very aggressive grind , so they are great for hogging, the curved surface opens up the grain and the serrations decrease your surface contact area on the belt so it cuts better. There is also no friction on the platter behind the belt.

I do a lot of linear grinding on contact wheels to finish all my work, saves hours of hand finishing.  She's works better with soft wheels.

I know a few makers who do all,their grinding like this, grinding along the length of the blade on a wheel.

Thanks guys...steve maybe i wrote it wrong i didnt mean that you can only use one. what i ment is i have a flat platen and a small wheel and just got my first large wheel (10 in serated) and was wonder what else i can do with it besides hollow grinding and things like that   steve you said you have a 44inch radius/cooled platen.... i have never heard of that is it like a rotary platen?    also maye you guys can give me a lil tip one thing i am trying to acomplish is a long sweeping rounded grind line for example - see how the line that starts at the ricasso / choil area and sweeps down to tthe tip i was told most knives like this are done on a wheel. i was messing around with some scrap steel today and i cant get nothing anywhere near that good anyone got any advice on that?

p4241n1.jpg 

and I was saying  buy what you need/want.   the radius platen is just that , a platen that rather than being flat, has a 44 inch radius arch with channels cut into the back for coolant to flow, because that arch will have a lot more friction than a flat does.  wont allow me to post pics here or in gallery, so here is the web site.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1134008

Glad I cold help, try working the edge of the wheel rather than just the face... to follow a curved flowing line...  if you feel obligated to me, why not show me how to carve like you do, I cant do anything near that nice. please???

Ok thanks guys i am going to try both of what you guys suggested...i haven't tried just using the edge or vertical...ill play around today and see what i can come up with. working with the wheel has proved a little bit of a challenge for me i thought since i could flat grind the wheel would be no problem although i have been practicing with slightly used belts and scrap steel bars and am starting to get the hang of it.....i THINK.........Steve what did you mean by " if you feel obligated to me, why not show me how to carve like you do, I cant do anything near that nice. please??? " i might be taking that wrong but i doubt that you wouldn't be able to do what i can do. maybe i misunderstood what you meant?