I Forge Iron

We shall call him Crash "pic heavy"

Daswulf

2 minutes ago, rthibeau said:

fantastic work !!  Where does it reside?

OBTW, when taking a pic of your work, throw a bedsheet over the bench/table to hide all the clutter..then place the item...the focus will then be on the piece

Thanks RT! At the moment he resides in my living room.  Yes.. I really need to get working on my photography. I did get a white sheet in the living room to take some pictures but the light was bad so i'll be putting a light on a stand and working on diffusing it. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Das, you should really have a website of your own to showcase your work and drive business your way. I would like to share some of you work (I know a few people who would just love it) but it's kind of tricky when there isn't a way to give you attribution. I mean, I could say this was made by some dude in Pennsylvania who I know only as Das... but that might not go over as well.

44 minutes ago, jumbojak said:

Das, you should really have a website of your own to showcase your work and drive business your way. I would like to share some of you work (I know a few people who would just love it) but it's kind of tricky when there isn't a way to give you attribution. I mean, I could say this was made by some dude in Pennsylvania who I know only as Das... but that might not go over as well.

Jak, you bring up a great point. So far I've just recently started taking things more seriously. Before any metal work or art was just a "here and there" hobby. I agree and think starting a central website to post and potentially sell my work is starting to look like something I need to do. I have a few friends I can talk to about that and will soon. My idea was to slowly work into it and plan some stuff for next year as to not run before I can walk. Business side of things scare me a little and numbers and legal jargon don't compute to well in my mind. Probably why I work for a body shop rather then starting my own body shop. 

Thank you for the nudge ahead. Please feel free to share my work with friends, I'd be honored. If you want I could sent you my email in a PM. 

Das.  aka. Aric Armbruster

12 minutes ago, Shamus Blargostadt said:

etsy sounds like an easy way to get your feet wet selling crafted work. My wife just set herself up to start selling commissioned watercolors and it sounded pretty easy to do.

I go there for ideas on forged items sometimes.

awesome job on that skull by the way!

I have gone there to look at what people are selling works for out of curiosity.   I'll look to see how it actually works and see about an account.  Thank you Shamus. 

32 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Das.  aka. Aric Armbruster

Aric not Eric? If so, that's way cooler than what I had in my mind - parents of German heritage who weren't sure if you were a boy or a girl when they filled out the paperwork. Like, you could have ended up as Der and maybe as Die, but they played it safe and chose the middle ground.

13 minutes ago, jumbojak said:

Aric not Eric? If so, that's way cooler than what I had in my mind - parents of German heritage who weren't sure if you were a boy or a girl when they filled out the paperwork. Like, you could have ended up as Der and maybe as Die, but they played it safe and chose the middle ground.

Haha. They knew what I was. Two older brothers names start with an A and they claim it was in the baby names book. So they went with a running theme. *shrugs*  it's often misspelled before I have a chance to say anything about it :) often ends up as an E with an A scratched harder over it.  I answer to Das as well as other words I won't mention :rolleyes: I'm pretty easy about such things. 

Das, I have been told many times that I should have a website to market my stuff, but like you, I'm a bit wary of all the legalities. And I'm something of a technophobe too. I would need someone to set it up for me.

I am lucky though, in that I can sell my stuff through our retail outlet at my workplace with no commission expenses. There are numerous art galleries where I can put sculptures at 25% commission if I want to.

There are flea markets of course, but your works are more 'gallery' pieces and you would never realise their true value at markets.

You could also approach your local galleries about holding an exhibition for you. My exhibition is coming up in three weeks and I have 50 junk art pieces ready to show. I have been working on an emu sculpture to complement the kangaroo family but I fear I'm not going to get it done in time. I'm doing the exhibition in conjunction with a painter who does landscape paintings. We are calling it Five Dimensions of Art. She does two and I do three. The gallery takes a cut of the sales of course but it's a good way to get your stuff out there.

I have PM'd you an invitation to the opening night. Hope you can make it. :D

Aus, Early off i had taken some metal work to the fleamarket since i was going anyway to make a little extra cash for stuff i didnt need. I had a lot of interest in my work but not my prices which were lower then the even would be now that I know "better" how I need to price my work then i did before. I will look into what a website can do for me, and how to use it properly. ( Thanks RT we can talk about it. :) ) 

I have been so busy working that I dont get out much, but on a few weekends I should go Visit art galleries to get ideas and talk to people there.

I would Love to make it to your exhibit but I'm afraid I cant get down to Australia that soon. :unsure: Some day. 

I spend some time in the garage instead of the forum and up pops one of those wow-threads.  I can't even see a decent skull in my mind, much less make one...from parts!  And the fingers...  You are an artist.

10 minutes ago, Arceye Blue said:

Daswulf     your work is Good Good Good I am sure once you find a way to get it out there they will be knocking at your door.

Quench, I know that feeling you are not alone

Thanks much Arceye Blue. I'm working on getting a website up and word of mouth is starting to spread through friends of friends. I just hope it doesn't spread too fast, I still have a day job to contend with. :) 

8 minutes ago, rthibeau said:

8 hours to sleep, 8 hours at the day job, 8 hours to make fantastic art to build up inventory......PERFECT!!!

Lol. And so many little things in between. Ugh. Just my drive to and from work every weekday is an hour. 

Thanks for the website offer, RT. I do actually have a niece who does websites, but I have been just too slack to do anything about it. Seems to be the way of the future though. I'm a bit like Das - not enough hours in the day to do everything. And I doubt Das gets 8 hours sleep - he's probably awake half the night thinking up more projects!

9 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Thanks for the website offer, RT. I do actually have a niece who does websites, but I have been just too slack to do anything about it. Seems to be the way of the future though. I'm a bit like Das - not enough hours in the day to do everything. And I doubt Das gets 8 hours sleep - he's probably awake half the night thinking up more projects!

you know it :( 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...