I Forge Iron

New workshop

Hi Andy, There should be no problem with the seal if you fitted it to instructions, they are the correct one for that roofing panel profile.

We have had them in service for over 16 years at Westpoint, and no leaks at all, Only difference in ours and yours is the chimney itself, the helical joint may allow a minute amount of leakage, and if the cowl is set too high rain water can blow under and run down the inside of the chimney onto the register plate and into the hearth or down the canopy, yours looks to be OK so shouldn't have a problem.

Another problem you may have, if your hearth has wheels, and it starts to move, is that you will put stress on the seal, it looks as if you rely on the chimney seating on top of the register plate on the canopy, with no other support apart from the seal to keep it in place.

Take the wheels off and lower the hearth a tad to give maximum height if you are worried about the low roof.

I trust you secured the chinamans hat in place, they tend to go walkabouts if not.

Looking good, and it won't be long before you need more space.

Have fun

Hi John, cheers for the comments. 

I've sealed the join around where the pipe and the silicon meet, it rained today and I didn't notice any leaks. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. 

I plan on making some wedges for the wheels but the front legs dig into the floor quite well so it will take a decent knock to move it. I don't wish to lower the forge as it was just too low for me unfortunately. 

That's right there's no other support on the chimney other than the seal and the top of the canopy, this was an incredibly tight fit so I don't foresee any problems but that will be just another thing to keep an eye on. 

All the best 

Andy

Wow, looking great Andy interesting Chimney when viewed from my section of the woods, you have come a long way and like the rest of us every time you get one thing done 10 more pop up needing your attention. 

Good Luck   Dale

5 hours ago, SpankySmith said:

I am so insanely jealous of this work space.  Can I come and visit for a while, just to drool over it?   LOL, not gonna happen but a girl can fantasize can't she?!

You'd be most welcome Spanky. 

I visited a local building site today and asked if I could rummage through their scrap wood pile. Came away with a full car load. :) Enough to build two work benches and begin a little mobile cabinet. Pics to follow next week. 

All the best 

Andy

So I visited a local building site and asked if I could have a rummage through their scrap wood pile. Long story short I came away with a full car load of totally FREE wood. :)

freewood.jpg

Which I promptly turned into these. :)
Benches.jpg

Not as big as I'd have liked but I won't complain for the price of a box of screws and a bit of time.

Also an arty pic for you, 

B_W.jpg

All the best 
Andy

We commonly get 100 KPH winds out here so a forge chimney that's not guyed at the top is a replacement item several times a year. On the other hand rain is not generally a problem I have the entire gable open on my shop roof and can count the raindrops on the dust of the work table located 3' in from the end wall even after 2 years....

Looks like things are coming along nicely Andy. Good score on the timber, you may want to add some diagonal bracing to the table, a bit too much activity or weight on it and it may start to evolve into a folding table!

• 1 month later...

Hey NTK, cheers bud. :D 

I'm well chuffed with it. There's still a lot I'd like to do to it, as well as a load of equipment I'd like to buy but I'll get there eventually. 

First on the list is a decent size fly press. Hoping to pick one up in the next couple of months. 

All the best 

Andy