I Forge Iron

My first Anvil

I got my first Anvil last night. What do you think? Any ideas what brand it might be? All I know for sure is the rebound is easily 90% or a little more with a 1" steel ball and the surface looks to be in very good shape. But I don't see much for marks on it other than the weight and what looks like a spot where there used to be a mark or stamp on the end of the base on the square end. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, FoxFire said:

Fisher

Sweet! That is what I was hoping it was. Thanks. 

14 hours ago, otisdog said:

Xxxx of a first anvil....one and done! 

It is in beautiful shape.

Thanks yea I like the buy once cry once theory most of the time.B)

Anybody have any recommendations to the best way to get it looking good? Just a wire wheel on a grinder? Do you use any cleaners or chemicals to clean them up? And should I paint the sides after I clean it up or just leave them? Or any other general need to knows about it that I should know? 

38 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Light wire brushing on the sides, followed by a protective coating.

8 hours of hammering hot metal on the face should make it shine. Lightly wipe the face with ATF after each use.

Thanks for the tips. Good to know about the atf I hadn't thought of that.

34 minutes ago, Daghrim said:

That thing is really beautiful, Grats on the great find! Like everyone else said, I would love to see it when you get it cleaned up. 

Thanks, it may be a few weeks before I get it set up pretty busy the next while and I need it to warm up a bit more so I can empty and do a DEEEEEP clean in my garage to make room. But as soon as I get it cleaned up I will put some more pics up. 

• 2 weeks later...