I Forge Iron

Building a power hammer

I've gotten myself a set of the krusty style power hammer plans and I've been converting the drawings from metric to standard which has been time consuming. Is anyone aware of a simple millimeter to standard fractions, app, chart, or table? Also can anyone recommend the make, model yr or in a perfect world the part number for the leaf spring? My hammer will be a 25lb if that helps, and for safety I will be adding protective cages. I mention that because it seems every time I discuss the power hammer I'm inundated warnings about spring issues and dangers. If anyone has built one I would be interested in how it went for you.

respectfully

There's no such thing as perfect, even if you have a spring shop make your spring you'll want a scatter shield just in case. Either working in metric or converting is too easy to need to ask about. If that's a problem for you then you might want to explore something easier and safer to build than a power hammer.

I'm not trying to discourage you but seriously, power hammers are inherently, significantly more dangerous than hand forging. Conversion tables for virtually everything are available for the looking online. Converting metric to FQP(?) and vise versa is simply a matter of remembering ONE number and whether to multiply or divide.

Seriously you might want to start with blacksmithing basics before you start messing with limb removing power tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, ianinsa said:

You don't actually have to retro engineer the plans! Get yourself a metric/imperial tape measure and WORK in metric.  You will soon 'catch on'.:) you will be amazed at just how easy the metric system can be. 

Totally agree. I'm a die-hard imperial system holdout (in measurement, anyway; not in politics), but the couple of years I spent working in a violin repair shop where everything was done in metric was certainly an eye-opener.

Plus, any conversion from English to metric will inevitably involve some degree of rounding error. If you happen to round in the wrong direction, things may not line up or operate properly and you'll have to re-engineer. So much easier just to stick with the plans as written.

• 2 weeks later...