I Forge Iron

So why Blacksmith at all??

My answer to him would be to give him he hammer and let him forge something. This way he can see the time and effort that it takes to make such things and hopefully can appreciate it more. Also, you can't go to a store and buy a customized tool or decor to your liking. They always have their pros and cons. With smithing you can have everything you want and nothing you don't want in the piece.

The sad thing is there are people who can't see the difference, that don't value the process, and who's only frame of reference is what they can buy at Walmart. I have no desire to compete with Wallyworld,  Yes they sell hooks, but they don't look like what I make. They sell axes and hammers, and again they don't look like what I make. I think mine have more character, are sturdier, and are fundamentally of higher value. I value my work, and I try to charge accordingly. If someone can't see the difference they won't feel my work is worth what I am charging because they can purchase something of the same type ( but not the same quality...) at Walmart.  I gladly encourage them to do so ;-) but I don't price match...

You can educate the ignorant, but you can't help the foolish.

If people can't tell the difference I don't care, I don't do this for others, I do it for myself. Sometimes I come up with something other folk like and if they're willing to give me money for it all the better. I have a couple things I invest in the steel: I have pictures in my mind, I have years of experience smooshing a plastic media around and I have the tools. I score success by how close to my mental image I can make the steel become.

Iron and steel are the backbone of modern civilization, without it we'd be living in stacked stones, hides and wattle and daub. To take mankind's two oldest tools, fire and something to hit with and make steel dance our tune is as satisfying as it gets, more.

My short answer for why is because I can.

Frosty The Lucky.