Otto Ray

Grandpa's post vise

I got my Grandpa's post vise. It has a quick adjustable mechanism on it. I saw a picture on this web site and was wanting any information as to manufacturer, approximate age, etc. Thank you, Otto

FullSizeRender.jpg

Grandpa lived in Northern San Diego county (Fallbrook) CA in USA. His father had a harness shop early 1900's same area. Don't know how or where Grandpa got the vise.

In the decades after the US civil war there was a massive burgeoning of patents as many people tried to come up with things to use the excess industrial capacity freed up by the end of the war.  If you look at ads in the various journals folks were hawking their "New and Improved" left handed turnip twaddler and 16 tool metal shop on a steeek.  Most did not make the trial by time.  Though some good ideas ended up getting wiped out by various financial crises rather than by relative merit.

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

"New and Improved" left handed turnip twaddler

Hmmm, it might have been one of these that I saw in the scrap last week?:D

Thanks for the smile Thomas!

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

In the decades after the US civil war there was a massive burgeoning of patents as many people tried to come up with things to use the excess industrial capacity freed up by the end of the war.  If you look at ads in the various journals folks were hawking their "New and Improved" left handed turnip twaddler and 16 tool metal shop on a steeek.  Most did not make the trial by time.  Though some good ideas ended up getting wiped out by various financial crises rather than by relative merit.

The thing I find interesting, is the large percentage of "new" ideas, that are actually reincarnations of earlier designs.

Emerging technologies and materials, often "solve" the problems that caused the initial failure of these early inventions.

As an example, ... belt-drive motorcycles.

Much less maintenance than a roller chain, ... and much lighter and cheaper than a shaft drive.

But the original leather belts were a failure.

Here are some more pictures of this vise.

IMG_9312.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9310.JPG

And here are 3 more pictures.

IMG_9307 (3).JPG

IMG_9308 (1).JPG

IMG_9309 (2).JPG

This vise did not have a post or leg. But has a 'socket" for one. Could make it any length. Hope these pictures help.

Thanks Otto Ray,

It's an interesting vise.  I've not seen one like it before.   Looks like an adjustable/preset vise jaw mechanism.   It's interesting.  I had plans of building a post vise out of some 2 inch axle I have, but had trouble figuring how to punch the hole  for the screw.   This vise design solves that problem.    If you felt like taking it apart and posting pics of it in pieces, I'm sure the whole community would rejoice :)

Thanks for the pics,

-b

With John's help, I found the patent number:   699,585        Patented May 6, 1902 by William E. Snediker.  

Thanks again, John.