I Forge Iron

ribbon burner and forge volume

bird

I'm not great at searching this site so please excuse me if this has been covered but I'm looking for information on sizing a burner for a small forge. I prefer ribbon burners and I need to build a smaller forge. My big forge is wasteful for a lot of the work I do and I need smaller heats. I can't set up coal (as much as I wish I could) right now. I'm thinking of an interior volume in the neighborhood of 400 cubic inches.

I'm also wondering if it might work to cast plugs into some of the holes in a larger burner. Goofy I know, but I have a pine ridge lp190 that I'm not currently using but it is designed for forge volumes of at least a cubic foot.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Wayne. I'm trying to do this quickly but you're right, I should probably just build the burner I need. I'm pretty particular about my forges. What i'm really looking for is a chart or formula that balances plenum area, open area of the burner, and forge volume for optimal performance. I'll probably just wing it anyway and hope not to blow up. Glad to know you have those VFDs though. I might need to hit you up when I move the Fairbanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

They are available commercially, google Pine Ridge Burners.  They are expensive and it is so easy to build your own burner.  See the attachments at the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

I have questioned if you could use your compressor, but have not tried it.  I don't know the volume of air that you would use and if you would be over working your compressor.  if you try it please let me know what you learn.

Let me know if I can help you,

Wayne

waynecoe@highland.net.