Sign in to follow this  
Nick O

whole blacksmiths shop in one

this is the weirdest thing I've seen to date when it comes to blacksmithing its made by champion forge company any information would be great  fi1.cgifi2.cgi

SWEET! Certainly not for heavy forging but it has a drill press, grinding wheel, side blast forge and I think those are switches for an electric motor. I'd put that Pretty in the living room!

Frosty The Lucky.

Anyone have instructions or more photos of this in action ?I have the top vice unit but right now it only works as a vice or anvil i don't have any attachments like the grindstone or what it takes to be a drill press.

Greetings Nick, 

i had one , only the vise anvil portion. I think yours is missing a shoe that was used to hold a pipe.. They were advertised in the old Sears Robuck catalog and I don't think they were very popular . Somewhere in my vast amount of stuff I have a copy of the info but finding it is another question. Great find very hard to find a complete one. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Like most combo tools "Does everything; but does nothing well"   More of a curiosity these days as making a much better forge is trivially cheap and easy and better drill presses and vises are pretty easy to obtain.

7 hours ago, Leon Renaud said:

Anyone have instructions or more photos of this in action ?I have the top vice unit but right now it only works as a vice or anvil i don't have any attachments like the grindstone or what it takes to be a drill press.

its in Arcola IL today at 4pm

Thank you for the add John,I have much better equipment but this unit is what remains of My grandfathers farm shop he did his own shoeing and made some of his wood working tools with it . Like others have said "Does it all" IF you only needed limited forging capabilities .like a Shopsmith woodworking shop in 1 unit . Not all all that great but I saw some really great work done on one 1 I will restore one of these as well just because it was the 1st woodworking tools I moved to from my home made scroll saw dad built me from a treadle singer sewing machine!

Leon, your last post says it all, it is not the tools that make great things but it is the person using them that makes great things.

That is pretty cool. I would do what frosty said. It would be something I would put into my room, living room, or shop just to admire the coolness of.

11 hours ago, Joel OF said:

Shame it wasn't made in 1875 - that grinding wheel.

you should have see the wheel it was soaked in oil and I think the last time it was used some one used it on wood

I just found out there was a "Bench "version of this vice/multi tool . that one has the hand wheel on the opposite end under the anvil horn . It was not part of a forge set up like this but built specifically as a work bench tool for light metal work.

My neighbor has one of these and said I could have it.......as I remember it is missing a few parts and part of the anvil/vise.  Might be better to keep it out of the shop just for space reasons.  At least now I know more about it.  It does say Champion on it.

I know someone who has several of them in her shop.  Her dad collected a lot of industrial machinery and Blacksmith gear.