I Forge Iron

My First Post Vise

Bayshore Forge

Hello all,

I just thought I'd share what I was able to pick up from a smithy near Detroit today. As far as I can tell it is in amazing shape, has all the parts, and is ready for me to start using it. From browsing craigslist and eBay this is the best condition screw I have seen for sale. The jaws also meet nearly perfectly square. 

Post pics of ya'lls screws if you have nice ones. I'm sick and tired of seeing worn out looking ones in posts on eBay and the such. 

Brent 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On January 20, 2016 at 9:03 PM, House of D said:

B,

That looks like a fine little Columbian post vise. What are the jaws 4, 4.5"? Nice vice. I have a 6" that I use daily. Good pick up.

D

I believe it is a 5" however I don't have it with me to measure. 

On January 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM, mlinn77 said:

Nice they are getting hard to find in nice shape they got pretty abused in there life. This is my best one it's has 7 inch jaws I'm pretty sure it's a Peter wright. 

IMG_20151027_123403.jpg

This vise is astounding. Very nice Sir 

Thank you, it was all rusty and seized up when I bought it, now it works like new. It looks all hand forged. 

On 1/23/2016 at 8:58 PM, littleblacksmith said:

That's massive mlinn77! Wow! Beautiful condition.

Littleblacksith 

Thank you. It took some love to get it back in shape. 

Edited by mlinn77
Misspell

On January 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Kevin_Olson said:

Heres my beatup vise. Broken leg and one jaw was broken and reinforced. See chalk lines. Material outside of lines is aftermarket . Threads are perfect. 

20160126_185920.jpg

20160126_184616.jpg

20160126_184911.jpg

Kevin, I'm impressed at your resourcefulness to fix that jaw. This notion of fixing something when it is broken rather than finding a new one is what drew me to blacksmithing. I feel like much too often my generation simply throws the broken object out and buys a new one. 

Hey bayshore.  Wish i could take credit for the repair but cant. Bought it that way. Its an old fix too cuz the patina is uniform on the whole vise. I did not even notice the repair untill i took it apart.  In all parts of my mechanical life its always been my thought to try to to fix first. And I've managed to fix alot of stuff.