I Forge Iron

Passing on to Future Generations

I am planning on asking some of my top former students what they want tool wise from me.  I will pass the items on when I can no longer use them.  I always told my students to treat me right, and I will treat you right.  Two way street.  Some of them got it, some never did.  I would not give the floor sweepings to some of them.

But a few will have great tools to use and hopefully pass on someday also.

The interesting part will be the museum contents.....?????

Only wear as  much personal protective gear as is appropriate to the work being done. If you are working larger stock that would burn you just swinging the hammer, then maybe use the glove on the hammer hand...  BUT it is important to remember that you have to grip harder to feel like you have the same control if you are wearing a glove.  This often leads to more hand fatigue, poor grip, and bad technique.  Much more likely to have repetitive stress injuries...   

I love my Kevlar gloves and sleeves.  A nice leather apron that fits well and doesn't pull on your back or neck, will save your cloths when grinding or doing a lot of forge welding.  I live in safety glasses and steel toed work boots, There are lots of jobs I would rather not do without a good quality respirator and work tunes hearing protection. BUT I hate swinging a hammer with gloves on;-) I generally figure if I need to wear a glove to hit it with the hammer I have, I probably need a BIGGER hammer;-)

The best legacy we can leave our children is: knowledge, skill, and good judgement, right after faith, hope, and love...

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, Francis Trez Cole said:

I am working on my second set of children. Christmas break they each made there own marsh mellow fork

Notice the Refrig looks like everyone else's covered in family pictures and notes

43 minutes ago, SJS said:

The best legacy we can leave our children is: knowledge, skill, and good judgement, right after faith, hope, and love...

So true and hope for the best when they get out in the world

My inner curmudgeon says to just pass on future generations. :) that being said, I get dozens of students through the doors every year and some of them have some real potential. I'm not sure if my 16 year old son has enough drive to carry on for me, I'll keep hope alive - and there's always my daughter who's only 10 months and ripe for molding into the perfect torch bearer.. Lol

J

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you older guys.

With no "heir apparent", I really have no idea what will become of my "toys".

That being said, ... I think it's incumbent on me to resolve this issue in my lifetime, rather than dump it onto others.

Some tough decisions await .....

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to inherit a champion cast iron forge pot and 400 blower, ACME 80 pound anvil, post vise, and some tongs along with some chipped up hammer heads.  My great great uncle was a blacksmith and his tools ended up at the old family farm that my dads brother, my uncle, had.  When he got to old to farm he sold off the farm and asked me if I wanted the blacksmith tools.  I said you bet.  I didn't do anything with them for about 15 years.  I recently got it all setup and am using them.  I made a fire poker and gave it to my dad this past Christmas.  It was the first time I have ever seen my dad choke up and have tears in his eyes.  Was a touching moment for both of us.  He loved it and said it was too nice to use. My dad is 88 years old and still heats his house with wood so he uses a poker everyday.  I told him I made it for him to use and I could always make another one if he wanted a wall hanger.

Based on my experience passing on to someone who will enjoy them someday is priceless.