I Forge Iron

A Modern Sword

Steelfinger

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

One nice thing about travelling as much as I do for business is that I get to check a bag for free, up to 70 lbs.

The TSA is frequently puzzled by why I should be taking home so many bits of scavenged scrap metal....

You should've seen the looks on the guys faces when they opened my carry on to find 70lbs. of obsidian. It made a pretty white blank on the xray. I showed them an obsidian point I'd knapped and they let me carry the point on the plane even though one guy sliced his finger "testing" the edge. Broken glass evidently didn't penetrate his consciousness like it did his finger.

Say, wouldn't my Davis Creek Ca. Mahogany obsidian spear point necklace be a concealed weapon?

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

You should've seen the looks on the guys faces when they opened my carry on to find 70lbs. of obsidian. It made a pretty white blank on the xray. I showed them an obsidian point I'd knapped and they let me carry the point on the plane even though one guy sliced his finger "testing" the edge. Broken glass evidently didn't penetrate his consciousness like it did his finger.

Say, wouldn't my Davis Creek Ca. Mahogany obsidian spear point necklace be a concealed weapon?

Frosty The Lucky.

If it's sharp enough to be a weapon, wouldn't it be sharp enough to leave bloodstains on your T-shirt?

43 minutes ago, JHCC said:

If it's sharp enough to be a weapon, wouldn't it be sharp enough to leave bloodstains on your T-shirt?

I don't slide an edge lengthwise across my flesh, I wore it outside my T shirt it's just TOO sharp to wear against bare skin.

A thing doesn't need to be sharp to be a weapon, a Louisville Slugger makes a fine crowd pleaser. A wrist rocket driven golf ball has effective momentum and range.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't slide an edge lengthwise across my flesh, I wore it outside my T shirt it's just TOO sharp to wear against bare skin.

A thing doesn't need to be sharp to be a weapon, a Louisville Slugger makes a fine crowd pleaser. A wrist rocket driven golf ball has effective momentum and range.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm sure the TSA would have something to say about you wearing a Louisville Slugger around your neck, especially one made from obsidian.

Or white birch.

3 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I'm sure the TSA would have something to say about you wearing a Louisville Slugger around your neck, especially one made from obsidian.

Or white birch.

They had something to say about the spear point though more to say about the 70lbs of obsidian blocks in my carry on bag.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty , have you heard anything like this on a plane? :) 

Er.. Miss, the fellow napping that black stuff got some chips in my coffee, could I please get a fresh cup. Excuse me Sir, could I please borrow your necklace to carve my chicken, I should have taken the fish I think?

On 1/7/2016 at 8:31 PM, Frosty said:

They had something to say about the spear point though more to say about the 70lbs of obsidian blocks in my carry on bag.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ill keep that in mind on my next plane trip:to have a larger distraction to get away with something...

actually, I'm being trained on using explosives. So I've already got a good reason for TSA to pin me to the ground, only to find out everything's legal.

2 hours ago, GlassCowboy86 said:

I like the idea of carrying blades like swords around on a daily basis, however, I don't think I would be the sword type. I personally feel like I'd be the guy with a pair of wicked looking hatchets call the "wicked sisters" or something like that! Lol. 

I might put a well trained axeman against any smallsword/saber user... especially in tight quarters. but then theres the blood and lethality issue, as most times duels are first blood (from a poke, not a missing forearm...)

39 minutes ago, Steelfinger said:

Ill keep that in mind on my next plane trip:to have a larger distraction to get away with something...

actually, I'm being trained on using explosives. So I've already got a good reason for TSA to pin me to the ground, only to find out everything's legal.

I might put a well trained axeman against any smallsword/saber user... especially in tight quarters. but then theres the blood and lethality issue, as most times duels are first blood (from a poke, not a missing forearm...)

Steel, I get what you are saying, but that's kinda like saying the only reason to have a pistol is for dueling, I guess some people like that idea, I however do not. Haha. If I'm gonna carry a blade as a weapon, instead of a tool like a pocket knife, then I'm carrying to do business, not challenge someone to first blood to protect my honor! But that's just my take on it! 

On 1/7/2016 at 7:33 PM, ianinsa said:

Frosty , have you heard anything like this on a plane? :) 

Er.. Miss, the fellow napping that black stuff got some chips in my coffee, could I please get a fresh cup. Excuse me Sir, could I please borrow your necklace to carve my chicken, I should have taken the fish I think?

Nope, never heard anything like that. Messing up someones cup of coffee in Alaska is a shooting offense so we're careful not to besides mine would be closer. I haven't seen a piece of meat on an airline you'd need to cut in an awful long time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Charles I would hope that the police would have more than a rudimentary knowledge of the law. They have the ability to take your freedom away.

On 1/5/2016 at 2:02 PM, Charles R. Stevens said:

Lawyers own law books because even with 8 years of college they don't know all the laws...

you expect a law enforcement officer with a high school diploma to do better?

Oklihoma knife laws aren't to bad untile you add "or other dangerous weapon or item" so don't agitate the police, lol most days they have enough on their plate with out some one adding "excitement" to it.  

17 minutes ago, Bud in PA said:

Charles I would hope that the police would have more than a rudimentary knowledge of the law. They have the ability to take your freedom away.

No they don't. Police have the power to detain you WITH cause, your freedom can NOT be taken from you without due process. Police are held to a much higher standard than a private citizen, you can get away with a lot more than the police. Provided it's not a corrupt force, then it's a time to clean house starting from the top. that sort of corruption doesn't happen without at least tacit gvt. approval.

If you want to be sure to keep your freedom it's YOU needs more than a rudimentary knowledge of the law and I don't mean the delusional bumf your coffee shop buddies babble about. That's not You personally it's the general "you Folk," you.

Frosty The Lucky.

To deatain someone police require what's known as a reasonable suspicion that you are involved in criminal activity. Basically that means that they have to have some specific reason to do so. The case law can get a little wonky as to what a reasonable suspicion is in any given area, but a good way to find out if they do is to ask.

Say, "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" This shows that the encounter isn't voluntary - an amazing number of people think that they have to talk to the police for as long as the officer wants, given the incredible ignorance regarding fifth ammendment protections - and triggers certain procedures. Namely that the officer must either tell you why you are being detained or release you.

If you are being detained, you can be subjected to a Terry search which is a superficial search where the officer is allowed to check for weapons to ensure their safety. Without probable cause an officer cannot perform a thorough search and it is always best to refuse consent for searches. Don't empty your pockets when instructed to do so and never give consent for a search of a vehicle or a premises. I they have probable cause to perform the search they will do so no matter what you say. Don't get tricked!

The best way to ensure an accountable police force is to exercise your rights during police encounters. Never tell the police you know your rights. Instead SHOW them that you know your rights by asserting them calmly and respectfully. I have done this before, both with local and federal law enforcement. It works, believe it or not. 

Boy, this thread sure went sideways, didn't it?!

20 hours ago, GlassCowboy86 said:

Steel, I get what you are saying, but that's kinda like saying the only reason to have a pistol is for dueling, I guess some people like that idea, I however do not. Haha. If I'm gonna carry a blade as a weapon, instead of a tool like a pocket knife, then I'm carrying to do business, not challenge someone to first blood to protect my honor! But that's just my take on it! 

indeed. When i did carry my knife, it stayed in my pocket. it came out once, but i felt a serious threat, however didnt want any serious injury on him. everybody walked away, and this was years ago.

but I love those hatchets :D

22 minutes ago, jumbojak said:

To deatain someone police require what's known as a reasonable suspicion that you are involved in criminal activity. Basically that means that they have to have some specific reason to do so. The case law can get a little wonky as to what a reasonable suspicion is in any given area, but a good way to find out if they do is to ask.

Say, "Am I being detained or am I free to go?" This shows that the encounter isn't voluntary - an amazing number of people think that they have to talk to the police for as long as the officer wants, given the incredible ignorance regarding fifth ammendment protections - and triggers certain procedures. Namely that the officer must either tell you why you are being detained or release you.

If you are being detained, you can be subjected to a Terry search which is a superficial search where the officer is allowed to check for weapons to ensure their safety. Without probable cause an officer cannot perform a thorough search and it is always best to refuse consent for searches. Don't empty your pockets when instructed to do so and never give consent for a search of a vehicle or a premises. I they have probable cause to perform the search they will do so no matter what you say. Don't get tricked!

The best way to ensure an accountable police force is to exercise your rights during police encounters. Never tell the police you know your rights. Instead SHOW them that you know your rights by asserting them calmly and respectfully. I have done this before, both with local and federal law enforcement. It works, believe it or not. 

Boy, this thread sure went sideways, didn't it?!

it has, but its enjoyable.

I've heard it said that it's safer to not talk to cops. but you have to be careful with absolute refusals, as that can get you in trouble. I know asking if you are detained is one thing, but (as far as I know, maybe just in Canada) blatantly refusing a search is considered grounds for them to search you. The way around that is to declare that you NEITHER are PERMITTING nor REFUSING a search. Technicality is everything, right?

But on topic, I suppose because of dueling's phase out, laws have been restructured as now there is no reason to carry a sword (although, many places outlawed dueling when swords were legal, sooo) which would also be why many places (as far as I can tell with my non-american view) have outlawed guns in general (or placed so many restrictions on them) AND BY NO MEANS DO I MEAN TO BRING UP A GUN DEBATE but the purpose in general is to cause bodily harm, even in self defense.

"not consenting to a voluntary search doesn't constitute probbable cause" a ordains to the superimposed court of the US. That being said, boligerence can get you detained " for up to 72 hours" for " investigative purposes" so, be polite as you decline to be searched. Name, date and place of birth are required if asked tho 

All this debate has been very interesting, however I think if you break the law no matter how "unjust or wrong" it may be you should  expect "punishment" . Those in power seem to have a belief that "their views and ways "are the only "right" ones. Reality means the "golden rule " applies the guys with the "gold" make the rules! Power corrupts.

After all 'honest Abe' imprisoned his political opponents without trial in the basement of the naval guard house on Alcatraz and Gitmo is still used by numerous governments to imprison folk that might otherwise(rightly or wrongly) be free. So  be aware that most countries have people in powerful positions that will 'do what it takes' to ensure that 'their' view prevails. You may have 'rights ' but your 'opponents ' may feel 'might is right' .

Many folk see the same thing in different ways for example in the attached photograph the participants considered themselves to be participating in a lawful and peaceful demonstration(work tools and self defense weapons only) 

strike.jpg

It is interesting to note that Gustavus Adolphus took away the wheel locks used by his heavy cavalry and sent them back to the sabers as he considered the effect to be far greater with a "charge home" than with a caracole and retreat for reloading.    Japan has the distinction of being one of the few examples where a technological advance in warfare was "backed out", (see "Giving up the Gun")  where Japan went from exporting over 250000 guns a year to making only a few hundred of them in the entire country!.  The Samurai rightly figured out that peasants with guns would replace the Samurai in warfare; if nothing else by removing them from the population permanently...This of course only lasted till the mid 1800's when their isolationism was broken and they discovered they were "behind the times".