Sign in to follow this  
Gerald Boggs

Forging Chisels

The story board from an article I and Mark Aspery did for the Hammer's Blow. One day I'll do a more detailed posting.
In 2014 I journeyed to the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building, for what was to be a year of learning to build boats. Family events only allowed me to attend the first semester :--(  Anyway, there was a long list of needed tools. I looked at the list and though "Buy these?, I can make them" Didn't get many done before it was time to start school, but some of the chisels I did. From that, came the idea of doing the article on chisel forging.

Missing in the photo is the small bit of high carbon steel that was forge welded on during step 6.

Picture 1037 Large Web view.jpg

That looks like a very functional wood chisel.very nice . I have bought many in my days and most end up as hold scrapers or trash by the end of there life.nails are rough on the ends lol. So did you just forge weld a high carbon piece in the end ?

Nice.  A big 2" framing slick is on my eventual "to do" list. One of these days I'd love to take a timber framing class and be able to make my own chisels.

12 hours ago, ForgeMan32 said:

So did you just forge weld a high carbon piece in the end ?

Very carefully.  Since the mild will take more heat, I place the high carbon on top and slowly bring the heat up.  The trick is not to let the end dip in the fire :-)

11 hours ago, DSW said:

Nice.  A big 2" framing slick is on my eventual "to do" list. One of these days I'd love to take a timber framing class and be able to make my own chisels.

By the greatest of coincidence, this year I'll be teaching "Woodworking and Timber Framing Tools" at the Adirondack Folk School