I Forge Iron

Just a box of dirt, or a simple side blast forge

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This design is first set up to be portable, so lose fill and bricks so it can be dissasibled into easer to carry parts for demos second it is shallower to accomidate  the reduced blast of the manual pump. It heats just fine and will weld but it is slow generaly to heat as for fuel effecency and fire fleas one only comes up to forging heat. If one needs to weld bring it to forging heat and then pump faster to bring it up to welding temp. 

The loose fill is cheap cat litter (bentonite clay) as sand melts to form slag. 

Aha! Cat litter is an excellent idea. I might fill the rest of my box with that.

What happens if/when cat litter falls into the firepit?

For a non-portable forge, could you wet the cat litter and smooth it over the surface similar to your MK1 forge? I dont know how clay litter will behave when wet.

Bentonite clay expands when whet. The reason I used clay in my forge is that was the dirt under my feet. In your case sand would work as well, as the clay bowl would keep the sand from melting and forming Slag. As to the cat litter in the fire bowl, it vitrifies, and sometimes forms clumps (moisture from the bricks) no big deal. I could forgo all but the back 4 bricks in the mark III and just scoop out a hole. 

• 3 weeks later...

Either, depending on your fuel. It’s a box 3” deep. A piece of plate, kiln shelf or pizza stone to make the bottom more resistant and a brick, dirt or catliiter fill and you have a forge, now you can either cut a hole in the side and put in a side blast tuyere or a hole in the bottom and put in a bottom blast tuyere. 

So tell us what fuel you have access to and what you want to do with the forge. 

I feel, that it would be easier to make a bottom blast forge, but what ever you all think would be most effective for charcoal I might just do. I’m planning on using charcoal because I’ve seen videos of people making it and it seems easy enough. 

The side blast JABOD would be easiest to make and use. 

Take 30 minutes to an hour and build a JABOD at zero or low cost and get started. You can worry yourself into a coma trying to cross link all the options, and getting nothing done.

Tyler, there are many ways you can build a forge. You are going around in circles. Start with One proven design and get started. You can always build another forge later if you want but the key thing is to get Started forging.

You mention starting with charcoal so start with the simplest design and build the box of dirt side blast forge as Charles suggests, using the red cart. 

What Das said.

In addition, if you find you don't like the side blast and/or move to coal it will not be difficult to transform that cart into a bottom blast forge later.  I'm another vote for keeping it simple for now and going with a side blast JABOD type forge so you can get started banging on hot steel.