I Forge Iron

Quench Buckets?

6 hours ago, SpankySmith said:

Hope everyone who has an outdoor quench bucket remembered to dump it with the coldest weather moving in.  Here in Sunny Alabama it was 13 degrees when I woke up, was glad I remembered to dump mine after losing a bucket to the cold once before.  

Too much trouble in my situation to dump and refill.  No water outlet near the shop...I carry mine to it in 5 gal. buckets. :(

I dropped an 80 watt bird bath heater in mine.  So far, as low as 11 deg. F. the water has NO ice.  The thing is designed to come on only when the temp drops below a certain level (probably around freezing).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it nobody has heard of using honey on burns. I've been doing it for years. Just squeeze a little on the burn and wrap it up. Works better than anything i've ever used. Best to ice it first if you can. But either way more often than not it will stop a burn from blistering. Raised six kids and saw a lot of burns on this farm. Learned it from an old timer who used to farm up the road from me. It works.

Thanks for the tip terry. We have lots of honey at my house. Not to get off subject, but honey is a great thing to have around. It is great for when you are sick to plop some in your tea or coffee. Also, if you get honey from local bees it helps to stop allergies. This works becuase the bees are pollinating the local plants which get traces into the honey and your body builds a tolerance to the pollen in your area. Now we find it works for burns. I know a lot of this doesn't have to do much about the topic, but I figured it would help some of you out.

15 hours ago, brother terry said:

I take it nobody has heard of using honey on burns. I've been doing it for years. Just squeeze a little on the burn and wrap it up. Works better than anything i've ever used. Best to ice it first if you can. But either way more often than not it will stop a burn from blistering. Raised six kids and saw a lot of burns on this farm. Learned it from an old timer who used to farm up the road from me. It works.

More on this from the NY Times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/health/19real.html?referer=

On 1/19/2016 at 11:04 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Saber saw with metal cutting blade?

Ditto. I MUCH prefer this alternative. drill one hole o slip the blade into and off you go, no screaming LOUD noise, no sparks, no hot grinder dust raining down your collar. Oh WAIT, where's the fun in missing out on all that adventure!?  :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Honey's a great antiseptic....unless it get's wet. Then it's fantastic bacteria food and needs to come off pronto. Like sugar curing a ham. It's why you don't harvest honey until the moisture level is right. It'll ferment, and not in a good way.

Variation on the earlier insurance joke.

A blacksmith and a lawyer both on vaction end up on a beach in the Bahamas. They get to talking, and the lawyer says, "Well, I'm here because my house burned down and after the insurance paid for everything, my wife and I decided to take a vacation."

The blacksmith says, "That's funny, during last month''s storm, the house flooded and the insurance paid for everything, so me and my wife decided to take a vacation." The lawyer gets a confused look on his face and asks, "How the heck do you start a flood?"

I use a plastic bucket for water and brine, metal paint bucket for oil. With a lid is a must. Mid and high carbon steel is water seeking and will fly 20 feet and turn corners to find it and crack. Every. fricking. time. And a lid for the oil bucket because, well, oil. Fire and messes and the like.

25 minutes ago, Nobody Special said:

"How the heck do you start a flood?"

Rain Dance inviting lots of friends!  Helps to watch the weather forecast first.

I've used an old chicken water heater a few times when I had to keep the shop going for a few days in real cold.  Plug the heater in and set the big heavy rubber water bucket on it and it stays" Wet"  We had 2 of the heaters running in the chicken house for 4 months every winter for years.