I Forge Iron

15th. Century German cutlery WIP

JRigoni

I haven't posted anything in awhile and I've wanted to do this project for a few years but never got around to starting it.  Inspiration comes from the book: Historische Bestecke (Historic Cutlery) by Jochen Amme.  This book is phenomenal if you get a chance to see it.  Examples of cutlery from the stone age to modern day.  Anyhow, here goes in the build.  Fork is forged from a section of coil spring (5160). 

20151202_150559.jpg

This is the design I came up with, seemed in keeping with many of the German and Dutch originals of the time. 

20151203_104617.jpg

Knife pre-form is forged to shape.  I had a 1" bar of O-1 in the shop, so this is from that. 

20151203_142421.jpg

Some Whitework today.  Drawfiling to final shape and cutting threads in the tangs.  I machined the end caps/pommels from mild steel, and had a bear of a time cutting the internal threads, since they were so small.  I ended up using three 1/4"x20 taps, standard, bottoming tap and one ground down to flush.

20151208_113106.jpg

All finished.  Fork is forged from 5160 and knife from 0-1 steel.  The handles are ebony.

20151210_125424.jpg

• 3 weeks later...