I Forge Iron

New grinder Plunge cuts????

dps9999

hey guys so i just got a KMG grinder i was using files and a 4x36 before this new grinder always did everything by eye....not that i have done alot i am still new only made a few blades so far i wasnt even thinking about a new grinder as my financial situation wasnt there but a family member offered to buy me one piece of equipment so i chose the KMG. so since i have this i figured i would do a lil research and find out what the "right" process is to grind a knife. This may be a stupid question but can any one define and describe a "plunge cut" i keep coming across people talking about it and some even decribe how to do it but what is it exactly why is it needed? THANKS!!

Howdy and welcome.

Take a look here: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/32040-knife-making-class-log-114-grinding-and-harmonics/
and here: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30159-knife-making-log-class-103-grind-and-file/

Try building a jig, try freehand, try using a rest; see what works for you. 

Maybe some of the guys that have taught before should weigh in, haha

and Plunge cuts, or plunge lines are not obligatory, most of the blades from most times , from most cultures don't have them. Some swords some spanish knives and some sheffield knives and a whole load of modern American knives do though.

plunge cuts are a case of practice makes perfect. better practices on scrap.

• 2 weeks later...