I Forge Iron

Drift/Chisel Storage

Greetings Vaughn, 

You can never have to many places to store chisels and drifts. I hate it when I can't find the just right one.. I have several other places drawers slots ect.. I try to set them up for frequency of use.. Your idea is great next will be 4 more just like it. Keep up the great work.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

I made a punch block out of sections of 2x4, held together with glue and a scrap of sheet metal bent around the bottom and nailed in place. Keeps getting filled up.

in the portable tool box that goes to hammer ins and demos, a cloth roll screwed to the lid of the toolbox works.

punchrack.jpg

DSCN3182.JPG

6 minutes ago, VaughnT said:

And Jim plays his trump card.... :(

Wasn't that cardS plural? 

I have 4" x 4"s with holes. Drawers in the top box, pockets in my tool bag, a couple roll ups, baking pans and more failed experiments than I can count. Not one fits what I want. I think a version of the pipe with short sections of smaller pipe in it might, just MIGHT be THE  winner!  A version that will clip over the rim on my anvil stand to keep a selection handy on the anvil without being in the way!! :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Vaugn/Frosty

No trump card intended... I have been at it a tad longer than most and just try to pass on ideas .  For small detail chisels and drifts I made up these tools that use old or new screw driver bits . Most are already hard and only require a small amount of grinding. Saves a lot of storage space and is convient at the treadle hammer.,

Jim

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Greetings Das/Papy. 

Just thought I would give you a suggestion on how I made the internal hex .  I call it the Blacksmith broach.

1st. Drill a 7/32 hole in the repurposed welding hammer or the 5/8 bolt about 1/2 deep.. 

2nd heat the end and drive a scrap bit into the whole with some anti-seeze lube

3rd Remove the bit ... reheat to yellow and  reinstall the bit.. Quickly reform the tool around the bit...

You now have an internal hex blacksmith broach.. 

I also weld a rounded top on the welding hammer and crown the top.. Just a little grinding to the bolt top works well..

I have tried several ways to hold the bit into the tool and found that a rubber band works best. Handy little set up. Have fun

Jim

Well, I found a bit of 6" square tube in the scrap pile.  I was going to cut off a chunk of 8" round pipe I have, but saw this sitting there looking all forlorn.  Since it was already about the right length, I decided to put her to work.   Only had to cut off a half-inch to clean up the torched end...

I still have to cut the second piece of expanded metal to fit in it.  And I'll have to decide what I want to do for the bottom.  And I need to decide how I can put a handle on it... or if I even want to.   6" square and 1/4" wall, it weighs a good bit as-is.  After loading it with chisels, I can't see moving it very often - especially once I have the new tong rack/cart finished.

Definitely has that heavy industrial vibe. :D

IMG_5375.thumb.jpg.6ef75cf82352bdc2f1773de0252572ee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I posted a pic of the finished chisel/punch holder.  Maybe I put it in a different thread.  Maybe I just forgot.  :huh:

Anyhow, it's done and it works great.  My packrat-itis finally paid off and I was able to make the bottom of the organizer with projects I had scrapped, but saved "just in case"!

I saved the main piece as well as the parts cut free, so it was just a matter of tacking them back together and, boom, instant bottom with convenient gaps for dirt to fall through! :D

IMG_5427.thumb.JPG.a0fb449a05e84baae728b39ca1345ea1.JPG

I almost screwed up and put the bottom on before welding in the expanded metal.  That would have been embarrassing, but I caught myself at the last minute.  

With two layers of the EM, the tools stand tall and proud, with plenty of room for 3/4" bars side-by-side.

I made the "sticker" by stamping a design on some paper and then gluing it to the body.  A top coat of polyurethane should keep it looking decent for awhile!

IMG_5444.thumb.jpg.2f5b8bbc153c946ecb6a23c9fedb0d15.jpg

In the future, I'll probably put some kind of bail or handle on it.  That'll wait until the Muse strikes and I have a bit of creative inspiration.  Overall, very happy with how it turned out.  It took an hour to make and will certainly outlast me.  I like to imagine someone buying it at a flea market or yard sale in a few years, wondering who made it and what it was used for! :D