I Forge Iron

Nickels in knife making?

b4utoo

Maybe I'm confused but I don't see a comparison.  Current US nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel which doesn't equate to the 15n20 you mentioned in any way.

FYI there is a mild congressional push to change the metal in all US coins to have a high steel content due to costs and the fact that the NI and CU tend to be imported rather than domestic.  Count my vote in--there are MUCH better alloys available these days than the old standards.

I'd love to see those giant sized Eisenhower dollars come back too but that just make me an old geezer.

Back in the dark ages, I worked at the Space Needle.  One of my spine crushing jobs was to help empty all those pay telescopes.  We'd come out with several 5 gallon buckets so full of quarters you could barely carry them.  Dang, what a racket.  I can't remember the numbers but it sure made my paycheck look like cracked corn.

Nothing really to do with forging...just a memory flashback that had to puke itself when 50 lbs of nickels was mentioned.

you can use nickel 200, which is basically pure nickel but it does not harden so it is not great for a blade edge but many use it with mild steel to produce a pattern welded steel for  blade fittings or the outer layers of san mai blades, but as Steve said, nickel coins would not work for anything mix involving steel.