I Forge Iron

Post vise. I have four

Locksmithjoe

First, I have acquired four post vises. I only need one I think.

three are complete. All have springs. 

I need to know what type of metal I should use to forge a key and keeper pins and should I leave them soft or harden? 

Also, what is a fair price for post vises in good shape?

I'll be making them for a vise I'm fixing out of whatever mild steel I have. I honestly see no need for hardening them. 

Far as price, it depends on your location, what condition/ brand, and what someone is willing to pay. I couldn't say. 

I have 9 in current use: every work bench that has a 4" post vise gets an 8" postvise at the other end, (so that's 4)  then I have two large ones fastened to telephone poles that support the roof of the shops I have, 1 loaned out to a student and 1 mounted at my church for when I do forging there and lastly a light 4" vise for my travelling set up.  I'd think of keeping a couple even if you sell off the rest---backup is a nice thing to have!

Price depends on how bad someone wants it. I just got a complete and excellent condition Columbian for $40, and I could have got it for less as it was headed to the thrift store if I had not bought it. mine were free to $50. Guys still find them for under $20 fairly regular as they are not rare, and were used by far more shops than blacksmiths.

i have 37 postvise and 18 benchvise, most i have paid for any is $100.  the average is $35.  i have been through every one and

repaired or replaced what has been needed.  i use 4 in my teaching trailer (have 4 full forging stations) and 4 in shop, one main 3 on perimeter benches.  one bench vise on a bench. one on a 2" receiver to go into multiple 2" points around the shop.  rest on display. i like them almost as much as hammers.

I

33 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I picked up a heavy duty one at Quad-State 2 years ago for US$40; I look for ones needing mounting plate and spring as they are cheaper and the missing parts are fast and easy to make. NM tends to be a tool poor region and I'm doing my part to change that!

I'd send a couple your way but shipping would be brutal. 

Cant find one for under 100 on eBay. And shipping sends em over the top. 

As I consider e-bay one of the more expensive methods of picking up smithing equipment; I am not surprised.  I am glad I brought 11 postvises out here when I moved from Ohio where for many years US$20 was a decent price for a 4" vise---with the spring and mounting plate.   $40 used to be a standard Quad-State price but one year I went and it looked like $75 was the new base price; so I decided to pick up a couple more before the prices rose again; so I picked up around a 6" vise for $50 and a 3" ancient vise for $20.  The $40 vise was from 2 years ago and had a 1.25" diameter leg---at the thinnest... What does surprise me is all the folks who say (paraphrased)  "I looked for jewelry at Tiffany's and all it was really expensive!"... 

I love old wrenches, farm implements, etc.Have got some from antique stores, & WOW ! I JUST REMEMBERED ANOTHER LEG VISE THAT WAS 4 SALE, 70-80 miles away 1 & 1/2 yrs ago. A good friend found an OLD hammer,while gardening the land he inherited from his grandmother, & knowing I always carry my old Snap-On, GAVE IT 2 ME.IT HAS BEEN MY "NEW"FAVORITE, 4 almost 4yrs now.It might B 100yrs old. Bullwinkle71 out.

I just pulled two picks from an old mine. Think I'll test one and see how well they bend. If I can I'll probably round one out and build a horn or two that I could mount on a bench or block. 

As for the post vise not sure how much to charge for one. I will be selling one or two of them. 

AMEN. As much as I love antique iron, I also love 2 fabricate.Been savin a 4" x 4" x 3/16" ti plate, (w/correct filler wire) 4 15 yrs. Was plannin 2 have it h2o-jetted into maltese cross,&tig the cutouts, onto the back side, like a flower's back to it's stem. Would've been a cool mc mirror, but now I want 3" more 2 do a grizzly bear paw, 4 kickstand.

Alamogordo,NM 88310

5 Southwind Dr. ,Alamogordo,NM 88310 is my actual address.