I Forge Iron

Questions about 2 Part Epoxy

Dustin Quade

So Christmas is coming up and I wanted to make a knife for my Father and my Father in law. I forged out a couple of knives from an old farriers rasp, made a brass guard and used a couple of old antlers for the handles. Everything is fitted how I want so I put some two part epoxy into the antler and around the edge to secure the guard to the handle. The packaging says that the stuff sets in 5 minutes and cures in 30 but I let them sit over night (so like 7 hours) and the epoxy is still runny. Is this normal and the packaging is just bs or should I take it all apart and try again with another type of glue?

Hello and welcome.

Sounds like it just wasn't mixed well; you gotta spend 30-60 seconds mixing the two parts together before applying. If you can, take the whole deal apart, clean it up, and epoxy again. First do a test on scraps just to make sure it's not an issue with the epoxy itself. 

What epoxy are you using?

Post some pics :)

Thanks for the help. I didnt know you had to mix the stuff seperate before applying, the package just said to squeeze the stuff out. I will try to clean them up tonight and give it another go. Il post some picks when i get it all sorted out. As for brand i think it was made by 3M.

I stopped using 5 minute epoxy years ago. It dries brittle. The 2 ton waterproof stuff is good for a few knives. If you're  looking  to make knives on an ongoing basis get some GFLEX epoxy. That stuff is the best I've  found. I order it off the internet.

Mixing equal parts together is the key to most epoies. Read the label carefully  as some epoxies require a different mix ratio.