I Forge Iron

V8 frog

Daswulf

Brilliant, Daswulf! Just brilliant! And I'm pleased that my frog inspired your creation!

The tappets (??) worked really well for the eyes and I like the way you have used chain to define the outline. The big end bearing makes a good nose. Those curly spanners look great for the waist. (There'll be someone who'll take you to task for using nice vintage wrenches there!) I like the skinny bolt legs too.

You have concealed the welds very nicely.

Welcome to the junk art fraternity, mate! :D

Edited by ausfire
spelling error

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Brilliant, Daswulf! Just brilliant! And I'm pleased that my frog inspired your creation!

The tappets (??) worked really well for the eyes and I like the way you have used chain to define the outline. The big end bearing makes a good nose. Those curly spanners look great for the waist. (There'll be someone who'll take you to task for using nice vintage wrenches there!) I like the skinny bolt legs too.

You have concealed the welds very nicely.

Welcome to the junk art fraternity, mate! :D

Thanks Ausfire. Yes the eye parts are rocker arms/tappets. When I found those it immediately struck me as the right parts. I had to weld a couple parts from the top but the majority is welded from the back side. Always hard trying to hide welds. 

The old wrenches weren't nice to begin with, only in shape. ;)  I almost used a nice one but upon wire wheeling it I found out it was made here close to me in Pennsylvania and decided to keep it. 

Thanks so much for comments and inspiration. 

9 minutes ago, MarcyOHH said:

That's awesome Das! We all have our niches in the blacksmithing world and from what I have been seeing from you I think you found yours. :D Keep up the amazing work! Also I am jealous, RT didn't send me a hammer :( 

Thank you Marcy. I've dabbled in scrap art here and there. Always loved art and making it but usually my ideas are bigger then my scrap pile. :)  Maybe I was at the right place at the right time, I had sent him out some hammers to reface and re-handle before and they are holding up great and are my go-to hammers. 

I like a lot of different aspects in metal work and black smithing, for me it's all an extension of art.

6 hours ago, MarcyOHH said:

That's awesome Das! We all have our niches in the blacksmithing world and from what I have been seeing from you I think you found yours. :D Keep up the amazing work! Also I am jealous, RT didn't send me a hammer :( 

did nickohh get a hammer ???