I Forge Iron

Baby vise

mlinn77

That's cool. I'd love to have one for holding electrical parts while soldering. 

Can anyone say what the appropriate term for that type of vise is?

I suppose a guy could make one that small pretty easy too. I have some 5/8" plate and a busted bench vise I can scavenge the screw from. :D 

Ok so here are some measurements of mine.

1. side plates/frame seems to be one  U shaped piece 1.5"x 1.5"

2. Bench screw 3"

3. Bench screw bracket riveted to frame and bottom of rear jaw. 2" tall 1.25" back to frame , 9/16ths wide

4. Rear jaw/ top bench bracket. 2"1/8 back of bracket to jaw

5. Peening anvil riveted to top ofbench bracket. 9/16"ths sq

6. Front jaw. 1 7/8" jaws 4" tall 

7. Screw box. 1.5"

8. Jaw screw. 3" 

9. Jaw bolt and nut.5/8" sq heads 1"- long

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by winterbear
Delicate pics

• 1 month later...

This is one I got on ebay some years ago, has a 2 inch jaw width. It needed a little help. I forged the spring, 2 inches long. I tenon/attached the disc on the bench tightening screw; the disc is hollowed on top to hide the peened tenon end.  I forged the handle for the bench screw. The mount was held with a square nut, which I left. During the original manufacture, the pivot beam was forge welded to the fixed jaw lower portion, which was characteristic of the large leg vises. As shown, with the bench screw in about the half way position, the overall length is 9 1/2 inches.

I suspect this was English made, and is similar to David Einhorn's on the left, in his photo response, above. I've seen a number of the other "style," as his on the right where the spring is hidden by the squarish plate, and a few of them are marked "Germany."

520.JPG