I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Shop Carving

Forging Carver

Oh I wannna see I wanna see!!

I'd like to suggest the hammer goes on the anvil the tongs go on the forge. I think this photo was taken of a museum display and laid out by museum folk, not a blacksmith. Don't hesitate to organize it correctly as a working smithy in your carving.

Heck I have lifetime memberships to a number of museums for "volunteering" to organize their blacksmith shop displays correctly in "small" towns in Alaska. Yeah, Kodiak, Sitka, Ketchikan, Juneau, count as small in the lower 48 but Juneau is our state Capitol! You'd think they'd do a better job of getting it right in the capitol but. . . Museum folk can't be experts at everything give them a hand if you can, everybody deserves museum displays as accurate as possible. This IS paying it forward and good karma.

Please post WIP pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I just remembered that I carved a diorama of a blacksmith shop back when I was in sixth or seventh grade (alas, no pictures survive). The whole thing was a little out of scale, though; if the anvil were full size, it probably would have weighed about 600 lbs!

If you are striving for an authentic look, there should be a second shorter lever attached to the top lung of the bellows with a small counterweight hanging from it. In a working forge it controls the air flow.

I am hopeless, just seeing a photo of the block of wood has perked my interest.

save that *MANY* original bellows don't have that; a smith often just put a hammer on the top board above a cross piece.  If you look in De Re Metallica for example I don't recall a counter weight holder. (Also I was looking over the antique bellows at the Fort Bliss replica blacksmith shop today; it did not have one or any sign that it once had one)  The double lung bellows I built and used for about 20 years did not have one; I'd toss a hammer atop or a piece of scrap if needed

Not progress but I suppose I should entertain you followers a bit. So I am getting one of those big sheds that I can use to keep my tools in, forge and anvil probably outside. So this carving will be going right in the wall. I got a trivia question/ riddle for you guys. Whoever gets it I might send you a cottonwood bark whimsical house ornimant if I have time to make it. I mostly likely will but you never know. If not I will make it up to you. The question is: who's ontop of the food chain? Trust me the answer is not what you think it is.

KING CLAUDIUS 
Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?

HAMLET 
At supper.

KING CLAUDIUS 
At supper! where?

HAMLET 
Not where he eats, but where he is eaten: a certain
convocation of politic worms are e'en at him. Your
worm is your only emperor for diet: we fat all
creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves for
maggots: your fat king and your lean beggar is but
variable service, two dishes, but to one table:
that's the end.

KING CLAUDIUS 
Alas, alas!

HAMLET 
A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a
king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.

KING CLAUDIUS 
What dost you mean by this?

HAMLET 
Nothing but to show you how a king may go a
progress through the guts of a beggar

Alright once I make it I will send you a PM with a picture of it or if you want to be surprised, and then send me your address and it will be on its way. 

My next contest after the holidays is going to be a carved spoon or a small smithed item like a bottle opener or something if I can even make one. You guys decide.